• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

The videogames should critique the society? (a politican cartoon game)

This topic is 2677 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I watched the news in my little country Colombia.
A mayor has been denounce because he gave contracts to his friends, a typical corruption case, nothing new.

First, I have to say that I want to design games, that's something I would love to make in the future. But I want to make games that no only entertain the people but makes them think about their lives, their society.

______________________________[SPOILERS OF THE STORY]__________________
That's why I have wrote a little story about Gustavo Petro, a colombian politician that denounce Samuel Moreno (the Mayor).
Gustavo Petro and a Colombian businessman called Miguel Nulle, wants to stop the corrupt Mayor and goes out to the streets and fight agains the political friends of Samuel Moreno, like Ivan Moreno (his brother, a senator), Liliana Pardo (a civilian minister officer).

______________________________SUPER PETRO BROS_________________________
Made by Cristian Ceron

______________________________THE GAME STORYBOARD______________________

Character screen.
In the game, we can choose in a character screen two characters:
- Gustavo Petro (a real politician)
- Miguel Nule (a real businessman)

Intro of the game.
As the intro of the game, we’ll see the following video:
">Video in Spanish
Basically a politician ask another: Would you buy 50 votes to avoid someone gets mayor if he buys 50.000 votes, and then the politician (Samuel moreno) answer: "Yes, I will, without doubt"

Chapter 1.
We’ll start the game in a street, in front of a building, the “Polo Democratico Alternativo” headquarters (a real political party).

We play in the street’s of bogota, with the pedestrians tracks and the cars track as in the SNES game “Power Rangers the movie”
The streets are in bad shape, with holes where if we fall in them, we lose 1 Life point.
Some streets have traffic jams as part of their background.

We run some streets (levels) until we found the “Veeduría de Bogota” building (a political network watchdog)
http://www.veeduriadistrital.gov.co/es/noticias.php?uid=0&todo=0&leng=es
(The Veeduria of Bogota Website)
In that building the citizens “veedor” (Pablo Bustos) will ask the political dead of Ivan Moreno Rojas to the State council.
http://www.consejodeestado.gov.co/
(The State council website)

After that we’ll have to carry the message to the State Council building (more streets) who it’s a big building, (we can saw that building becoming bigger and bigger in the backgrounds as we get nearer and nearer).

We must get inside of the building and passing throught it until we get to the roof of that building, where we found Samuel Moreno Rojas (a colombian political), where Samuel says to Petro “Te demandaré por injuria” (I’ll sued you by injury)
We’ll fight with Samuel, but he’s too strong and when He have little HP He will make a super attack that kill us, in that moment, Luis Carlos Avellaneda (colombian senator) will came to the rescue saying: “¿Necesitan ayuda?” (You need any help?), Samuel will say: “¡Te demandaré también!” (¡I’ll sued you too!) then we recover HP and fight again Samuel.
When we’ll defeat Samuel Moreno, He’s saved by his brother (Ivan Moreno) with a helicopter of the “Partido de la U” (another political party).

Chapter 2.

Samuel Moreno enters into a car with Miguel ángel Moralesrussi (a colombian comptroller) where Samuel says: “Llevamé a donde acordamos y te daré el 2% de los contratos de la ciudad” (Take me where we agree and i’ll gave you the 2% of the city’s agreements).
The driver of the car it’s Lucho (a shoes cleaner who became Bogota’s councilor).

After that they drive by the city, where they run over the pedestrians because the streets are in bad shape.
They drive until they pass in front of the “Polo democratico” building.

Our character (Petro or Nulle) must goes by the other side of the city streets until the IDU building (Human Development Institute)
http://www.idu.gov.co/web/guest/inicio
(the IDU webpage)

In that Building we must fight agains Liliana Pardo (a civilian official), when she’s making contracts (ruta del sol and Pasto-rumichaca avenue) with Emilio Tapias (a corrupt contractor).
Emilio runs when we defeat Liliana, then we must chase him until we defeat him (he’s very weak).
He drops a key, then our character must go to the key’s house.
That key belongs to Alvaro Davila who it’s an easy boss, when defeated he drops a letter, where Ivan Moreno (the Samuel moreno brother) ask him a favor to get two stations of the grant of Bogota-Girardot to his wife.

Then our character (Petro or Nulle) must go until we enter the sewers by a big hole that eats a Full Trasnmilenio bus.

Chapter 3.

In the sewers, we keep going until we finally get to the Mayor building.

Chapter 4 (Final)

In that building we must goes to the roof but inside the building are severals bosses like Lucho the shoe cleaner and Ivan Moreno the sub-boss.
In the roof we found Luis Carlos Avellaneda it’s being defeated by Ivan Moreno.
We fight with him, but when he’s defeated, the Partido de la U helicopter came to the scene. Samuel ask for help, but Juan Lozano (the director of that political party) say that they withdraw their support.

Ending

Samuel moreno say: “No, no puedo perder, no soy corrupto” (No, I can’t lose, I’m not corrupt) and then try to escape but ends falling of the roof.
Then severals pictures of the real life are show, then the credits and the game Ends.

_______________________________GAME OVER______________________________

_______________________________GAMEPLAY_______________________________

There’s not a gameplay design yet, however, some anotations should be listed:
- The characters will have a only one attack button that will make all the attacks: (punch, low kick, aereal kick)

- The characters will have a bar and when fulfilled they’ll perform a super attack (like SNES game “Power Rangers, the movie”) with another button.

- They’ll have another button to jump.

-The characters will run after a while of being walking (as in Teenage Turtles IV from SNES)

- There will be another button for changing tracks.

Tracks of the game.
There are two tracks in the game, the pedestrian track and the cars track.
In the cars track sometimes appears buses of public service that hit us.

Enemies
The enemies will come walking outside the screen and will perform simples attacks, as in the power ranger game.
There should be different classes of enemies, but the only real difference between them is the number of life points and the difficulty.
The enemies will be some Colombian iguazos (trucks drivers, bus drivers), some Polo Democratico militants and IDU’s workers, maybe some Colombian typical thieves.

Background
In the game there are some spaces that have streets as backgrounds, full of traffic, others streets in maintenance, and after that some normal buildings.

_____________________________FEEDBACK________________________________
I don't want to ask the typical question of if you liked it?
I'm more interested in your opinion about if a video-game it's a valid medium to portray controversial subjects, and critique the society.

About the technology, I don't want to make the next AAA indie game, I just want to make something comical about a very serious subject (political corruption), and probably I will make it in Game maker.

I want to know if you would love to see a game where obama defends the Health care bill from the Republicans (I think), or kicking the ass of Dick Cheney and the neo-cons.

Obviously, any feedback would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Political themed games tend to be short. I don't really know why. Maybe because people that are sensitive to political issues don't tend to spend a lot of time playing games about the same issues, and the game needs to be made while the issue is still current.

So make it and see what happens.

I think yes, very much so. Look at a game like Every Day the Same Dream which tackles issues such as societal expectations and notions of success/happiness. Or the disturbing Loved which deals with issues of emotional abuse and control. Or even the vulgar and blatantly offensive political game WIWTFBO (probably not work safe btw).

One thing I think that's important is that the gameplay line up with the sentiment that you're trying to express. If, for example, you're making a game that's supposed to preach the virtues of peace but the player is karate kicking his was through waves of bad guys your message will appear ironic at best.

Quote:
Original post by Wavinator
I think yes, very much so. Look at a game like Every Day the Same Dream which tackles issues such as societal expectations and notions of success/happiness. Or the disturbing Loved which deals with issues of emotional abuse and control. Or even the vulgar and blatantly offensive political game WIWTFBO (probably not work safe btw).

One thing I think that's important is that the gameplay line up with the sentiment that you're trying to express. If, for example, you're making a game that's supposed to preach the virtues of peace but the player is karate kicking his was through waves of bad guys your message will appear ironic at best.

Thanks for tell me those games, some as Everyday the same dream, I liked it much.
Love wasn't so disturbing but I still like it much and I was feeling strange when i played it.

But I want to fuck Barack Obama...
What the fuck it's wrong with people?, it's too bizarre, I mean really fucking bizarre...
still I want to play it (even if that makes me a mental pervert and a criminal)
But I feel that it's really offensive and disturbing, and I think that's what the autors wanted to express, so in a bizarre and visceral way it's like a masterpiece of the bizarre.
I remenber to have watched some Dada art like that.
That game remenbers me of Yume Nikki.
I think that that artist it's a lot better into making feel disturbed the player than The Lattest Survival Horror games (as Doom 3, or RE 5) and that it's a merit.
Just the images of that game was more disturbing as in a visceral way than the Resident Evil movies were to me.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement