What language should I make a game with?

Started by
17 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi,

I am a web developer that knows PHP + &#106avascript along with other misc languages (if you can call them that) like html, xml, css etc.

I was wondering, are there any languages that have similarities with the above. Or at least a similar procedural style which doesn't involve learning something completely new.

I have looked at C# and I was just like... ... ...

It would just be good to be able to transfer some of my current skill set rather than have to scrap most of it and learn something completely new.
Advertisement
C# is similar to java I think. and it is one of the easiest languages to program in, and most importantly, you get to use microsofts XNA framework which makes making games much easier and faster than languages like C/C++ and the game libraries for them.

Other people might recommend Python but I don't know much about that language.

so I recommend C# 2010 express and xna 4.0.

have fun!
If you are planning on an RPG I'd recommend Japanese.
Should mention i want to program for Linux so xna is of no use i presume
Well, there is MonoXNA. I have no idea how mature it is and how it compares to XNA though...
ah sorry, yeah for Linux I would recommend learning C.

I learned it using this tutorial which in my opinion is the best online

http://www.howstuffworks.com/c.htm

once you know C, a decent game library is allegro

http://alleg.sourceforge.net/
Quote:Original post by JasonS
I was wondering, are there any languages that have similarities with the above. Or at least a similar procedural style which doesn't involve learning something completely new.

Loosely speaking, I think PHP is like C++ for the web, and could be considered by you for building games. &#106avascript syntax is based on the ECMAScript specification, which also borrows elements of C/C++ syntax.

C and C++ syntax has influenced the syntax of most important languages that are in use today: Java, &#106avascript, C#, ActionScript and a multitude of others.<br><br>I think your next logical step would be to do a little study &#111;n C++. Microsoft Visual C++ is a great IDE. InteliJ IDEA is also an excellent IDE that supports C++ compilation, but it is expensive - although definitely worth the cost if you are dealing with a lot of files and large projects.

Discord GameDev Chat 38+ members | Skype GameDev chat group 235+ members

If you want to make game for the web I recommand ActionScript or if you want to experiment maybe some html 5 with WebGL. Otherwise, you can take a look at java and JOGL (The OpenGL port for java) if you want to do some 3D.
What about Python? There is a library for Python called PyGame which is is quite popular. Plus, Python is a very easy to learn and popular language and has a rich standard library. I also find its syntax very elegant. You might also find it very useful in your job as a Web Developer (last 'P' in 'Lamp' anyone?).
I really don't get this Python deal. I checked it out on wikipedia and looked at this code example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Python_add5_syntax.svg

looks like a complex mixture of C and something else

C, C# and even C++/CLI are the most straightforward languages in my opinion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement