• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
danromeo

Methods for backlighting clouds?

This topic is 2890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for methods/resources for backlighting volumetric pointsprite clouds....or general methods for backlighting ANY 3-d object for that matter. I'm not an expert but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, HLSL, advanced techniques, etc.. ANY SUGGESTIONS? Tutorials, articles, papers, shaders, etc.?

THANKS

Advertisement
I recently did some work on this and did not find good solutions. Running the actual scattering equations is too expensive for distant clouds. I ended up just having an artist define a glow map for the clouds that define regions of the clouds that glow when the sun is behind them. Then bloom / star streak the glow. It works pretty well and gives the artists control.

There is an article in game programming gems 5 that seems promising that uses perlin noise to generate the clouds, and then interprets the grayscale as a heightmap for lighting to give the clouds the illusion of 3D, by doing a raycast through the heightmap. Unfortunately, the article is a bit brief on the lighting algorithm, I could not get the demo to run, and the code does not match the code in the book very well, so I was not able to reproduce the results. I might try again later when I get some downtime.

For clounds, I have
http://www.markmark.net/clouds/
I hope it helps. It's a bit old but maybe it can still cut it. I am interested in knowing more.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!