• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LionMX

SFML - image.LoadFromFile() not working

This topic is 2910 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys,

I hope someone can help with the problem I currently have. I have created a LoadTexture method in my VideoSystem class which looks as follows:

bool VideoSystem::LoadTexture( char* texName, GLuint texHandle ) 
{
sf::Image image;

// Load the image
if(!image.LoadFromFile( texName ))
return false;

// Set the texHandle as current
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texHandle);

// Create the texture
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 4, image.GetWidth(), image.GetHeight(), 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image.GetPixelsPtr());

// Specify filtering and edge actions
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT);

return (TRUE);
}

I am trying to pass the following:

videoSystem->LoadTexture("Logo.tga", texture[0]);

But, I get the following error:

Quote:
Failed to load image "Logo.tga". Reason : Unable to open file

I have the files in the same folder as the project and source but this doesn't seem to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT

The funtion prototype for LoadFromFile() is:

bool LoadFromFile(const std::string& Filename);

Advertisement
What's the current working directory when you run the code? Is Logo.tga in it?

On Windows you can find out what this is with GetCurrentDirectory(). On UNIX you can use getcwd().

Most IDEs have a way to specify the working directory from which the application should be launched.

Also, when passing around paths,

const char * is better than char *
but
const std::string & is better than const char *
but
some class that handles unicode paths properly is better than const std::string &

Get as far down that list as you can.

What the_edd said.

Oh, and once that function finishes, the sf::Image gets destructed, thus deleting the texture. The pointer you get with image.GetPixelsPtr() becomes invalid at that point.

Quote:
Original post by mrwonko
Oh, and once that function finishes, the sf::Image gets destructed, thus deleting the texture. The pointer you get with image.GetPixelsPtr() becomes invalid at that point.

Does that even matter? glTexImage2D is going to make a copy of the data. You don't have to keep your data around after passing it off to OpenGL unless you need to reuse it.

Quote:
Original post by the_edd
What's the current working directory when you run the code? Is Logo.tga in it?

On Windows you can find out what this is with GetCurrentDirectory(). On UNIX you can use getcwd().

Most IDEs have a way to specify the working directory from which the application should be launched.

Also, when passing around paths,

const char * is better than char *
but
const std::string & is better than const char *
but
some class that handles unicode paths properly is better than const std::string &

Get as far down that list as you can.

Hi Edd, I currently have the .tga files in the same folder as the source and the VS project - I cant see anywhere else to place them other than the debug folder but that doesn't work. I will however have a go at GetCurrentDirectory() and report back.

I have tried other ways of handling the paths but had stack errors - I'm sure I was doing something obscured.

In general, whenever you ask the OS to look for or open a relative path (one without "X:\" or a UNC prefix on Windows, or one that doesn't start with '/' on UNIX), it will search for that path relative to the current working directory.

Just had a look in Visual C++ (2005 Express edition). You can set the working directory in Project -> Properties -> Configuration Properties -> Debugging.

Quote:
Original post by KulSeran
Quote:
Original post by mrwonko

Does that even matter? glTexImage2D is going to make a copy of the data. You don't have to keep your data around after passing it off to OpenGL unless you need to reuse it.

Is that so? I'm not all that familiar with the OpenGL, sorry. Though I'll change that one day. (Would make sense anyway, textures should be sent to vram so I guess that's what OpenGL does.)

Well, this just keeps getting more, and more interesting!

I took your advice and changed the working directory to the path with the .tga, I also changed the method in which I include the libraries, and used the .dll as per SFML website instructions.

Now, when I run the program I get some really strange artefacts in the console window and a random beeping noise.

I have debugged the program and I can see that the error occurs when I call the SFML function LoadTexture().

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Original post by LionMX
Now, when I run the program I get some really strange artefacts in the console window and a random beeping noise.

Sounds like binary data is being written to the console. Some specific data is interpreted as a a beep on the internal speaker.

/* Try this for fun :) */
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
int n = 100;
while (n--) putc('\a', stdout);
return 0;
}

Why and where that happens is something you'll have to investigate with your debugger, for example.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!