• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
valdirSalgueiro

OpenGL Question about POT texture

This topic is 2852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello, lately i have been programming one game for opengl ES for the BADA platform. Looking at this forum and over the internet but cant find the answer: does the size of the texture has to be the same (width = height) or it doesnt matter as long as the width is a power of 2 texture?

for example, the device im aiming for has resolution of 480x800 and for full screen textures im doing 512x1024 textures, is this correct? or i should go for 1024x1024?

thanks!

Advertisement
If you are forced to use POT textures (I'm not sure about the restrictions on the BADA platform), then the only restriction is that each dimension is a power of two (2, 4, 8, 16, 32.... etc). The width does not have to be equal to the height.

On many OpenGL implementations there are restrictions on the aspect ratio of textures -- they usually have to lie in the range 1x8 - 8x1. I don't know if this is also true of ES.

Quote:
Original post by Katie
On many OpenGL implementations there are restrictions on the aspect ratio of textures -- they usually have to lie in the range 1x8 - 8x1. I don't know if this is also true of ES.

If any implementation enforces such a restriction, the implementation is simply broken with respect to what the standard demands. The standard says nothing about aspect ratios of supported dimensions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!