Multiplay question

Started by
10 comments, last by EnlightenedOne 13 years, 5 months ago
Is it possible to build a complete game before you add in the multiplayer? I'm new to everything and this was a question that came up. I'm wanting to create a 2D game with multiplayer. Thanks in advance for an answer.
Advertisement
Possible? Yes.
Advisable? No.

Multiplayer is one of those things that is often difficult to implement after the fact if your program design hasn't at least taken it into account.
Awesome, and is adding multiplayer a whole other animal? I'm guessin I should work on my single player games before I dive into it.
I would suggest making a complete single player game before you start working on making a new game with multiplayer.

That way you will know ahead of time some of the pitfalls you may encounter.

I went down this road and sadly I don't have very much to show for my efforts (except knowledge =p), I have a working winsock server/client but I never really completed it because of synchronization issues, Its really tricky.

Now a year later I have retooled with dx9 and I am making a single player game and I think that's the right direction for me at my skill level.
Alright thanks so much for the advice guys.
Quote:Original post by Ixudos
Awesome, and is adding multiplayer a whole other animal?

It depends on the game. Certain games face more/harder challenges in getting multiplayer working. Some are relatively straightforward, assuming you plan for them from the start.

Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Awesome, and is adding multiplayer a whole other animal?

It depends on the game. Certain games face more/harder challenges in getting multiplayer working. Some are relatively straightforward, assuming you plan for them from the start.

Well I was planning for a 2d mmo with partying and all that good stuff. I'm sure there's a big difference between that and just having a FFA multiplayer game like Silent Death or a 1v1 type of game.
Yes. And make no mistake, making the mmo 2d doesn't decrease the complexity of it at all.
I'm more worried about graphics/animations/and map creation. 2d should cut down on the stuff quite a bit I'm hoping.
I'm more worried about graphics/animations/and map creation. 2d should cut down on the stuff quite a bit I'm hoping.

It doesn't really...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement