Sign in to follow this  
keinmann

Performance Overhead w/ debugging?

Just did a simple test with a C# testing project (console application) which is consuming a (rather complex) library I wrote. I noticed a rather simple method which did a (freestanding) mathematical calculation was a bit slow: running in about 1.6ms. Couldn't figure out why. So I copied the method from the library's source and pasted it into the console application I was using for testing. Sped it WAY up, so that it only took 0.0336ms. I tested with similar concepts, and had the same findings. It was slower if the method is in another assembly than the caller.

I'm speculating that this is a performance cost of debugging and that the debugger is slowing this down a little bit to keep tabs on everything. And I just wanted to confirm this, or get correct information about this phenomena. Can anyone explain and enlighten me about this?

C# compilation with and without debugging really isn't that different. There are a few minor optimizations that don't occur in debug mode (inlining mainly).

If, however, you're marshalling between managed and unmanaged code, that can add quite a bit of overhead (although generally not 1.5ms)...

Hmmm, this is very odd then. This particular case, no interoperation going on with this method. Just a purely managed method performing a mathematical calculation. I have wrappers for a large amount of C and C++ code, and the interop performance penalty is rather negligible for my project. But this little math thing is strange. I'll have to set up for a release build and see what the results are. Wouldn't you agree that's slow enough to worry about? This particular method, though I would discourage it, could be used in performance critical game code over the course of many frames. Though anything *I* write which uses it will only be for pre-calculations.

Marshalled calls should generally do a LOT of work. That means if you're going into unmanaged code, avoid going into it for trivial reasons. A single matrix multiply is not a reason to transition from managed to unmanaged (it'll cost more to do the marshalling than the entire method).

If you're calling your math method in a loop... and going over the managed/unmanaged barrier each time... that will be quite expensive.

I have a bunch of blog posts profiling the performance of math operations in unmanaged vs managed when used in a managed context, you should check them out.

Will do. Hopefully what I said wasn't confusing though; this particular case is 100% managed; no interop. But maybe your profiles can help me make some decisions on this framework design; even warrant some major changes if I was wrong on some assumptions (you never have enough time to test everything, and sometimes have to use a "best guess", haha).

Ok... I'm a very bad boy... but who hasn't used Reflector on the .NET framework to see how things tick? :) I was doing some digging a while back and found that some of their math methods are done via interop. I wondered "why?". Does it really warrant interop? Would it really make a notable gain in speed? Or just didn't feel like doing it in managed C++/C#? Maybe your work can shed some light on that and other things I worry about in my sleep. :)