Need help with a MAJOR problem!

Started by
19 comments, last by Telastyn 13 years, 5 months ago
I'm currently attending ITT Tech - Albany campus majoring in Software Programming. I've been attending the school for 9 months and so far it's been a good experience. My question is that did I make the right decision in attending this school??? I've heard more bad things than good about ITT. It honestly makes me nervous and paranoid that once I graduate I won't be able to get a job. My goal after graduation is to become a game programmer in a game development company. I know it takes hard work in order to break into the industry which motivates me to do my best. I've been practicing C++ on my own time, doing about 5-6 hours 3 days a week of individual programming. It's my dream since I was 10 to be part of the gaming world. Is ITT the wrong path?? (I hope not)
Advertisement
There is no set path, right or wrong. I'll knock ITT as much as anyone on these forums, but if you know your stuff and can network effectively, that's less of a concern.
O ok, I was just afraid that I would get bashed by a company because my resume would say that I'm an ITT tech grad, the school that every hates...
Quote:Original post by NateTheGreat22
O ok, I was just afraid that I would get bashed by a company because my resume would say that I'm an ITT tech grad, the school that every hates...

Most companies will care about what you can do, not where you went to school. If a particular company disqualifies you off the bat because of which school you went to, you don't want to work there anyway.
Does anyone know anybody from ITT that's been successful in the gaming industry?

Not being able to make well formed forum posts properly is probably a more damning indictment than ITT...

Though I don't agree with alvaro. Companies will chuck your resume due to ITT. It's a fact of life. Each position gets piles of resumes, game positions doubly so. These need to get culled down to ~10 people to get phone screened somehow, and let's face it: all else being equal a Stanford grad is a lot more likely to be a good candidate than an ITT grad.

Every company does this.

Your job is to make sure that all else is not equal. Portfolio helps, open-source projects help, job experience helps a lot, but in the end the vast majority of jobs are still gotten via contacts. If you know someone who can put in a good word, and move your resume past the piles of other ones in the inbox (or tell you about the position before the job is ever posted publically) that's most of the battle.
Does anyone know anybody from ITT that's been successful in the gaming industry?

Looks like they have decent courses to me. Is your program something like this one? -

Software Applications DevelopmentBachelor of Applied Science Degreehttp://www.itt-tech.edu/campus/courses.cfm

If so, you at-least have a good foundation to build upon.

They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
@Fl4sh very similar, Its more like....http://www.itt-tech.edu/campus/courses.cfm?prog_id=694

I'm going for my Associates Degree
Why did you pick an associate degree from ITT over a 4 year degree from 'regular' universities/community colleges? If time/finances are not an impediment I suggest you transfer whatever courses you can to a four year university. The reason I'm saying this is because, even if the chances of landing a good job with an associates degree from ITT were equivalent to the chances of landing a job with a 4 year degree from regular university(they probably aren't), getting a four year degree is much better for you in the long run.

I understand the temptation to treat education only as a 'requirement' to gain employment(the temptation is much higher if you are poor like me) but education is about much more than that.

Basically, my argument is:- if you can go to a 4 year university, screw ITT and go to one. If you can afford to choose between a 4 year university and ITT there is literally no compelling reason to pick ITT.

With all that said, if the choice was between not going to college and going to ITT, I would go to ITT.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm going to have to second the four year college recommendation for primarily the following 3 reasons:

* You have to have a 4 year degree to get past the majority of HR departments.
* That is two more years of building your portfolio.
* That is two more years of networking with people.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement