Sign in to follow this  
sitwind

Is Minecraft a survival game?

Hi Guys,

I started a topic about survival games. Minecraft was
mentioned so many times so i tried it a little bit.

As far as i could see, it is more kind of a
sandbox/tool creation/world building sort of game.

I do not see much survival element in it, it could be
that I have not played it long enough.

Is there any significant survival element in minecraft?

thanx!

(oh, by survival i mean Robinson Crusoe style, where the player is
some place alone and the "enemies" are starvation, freeze to death etc.)

[Edited by - sitwind on November 9, 2010 8:14:56 PM]

Yes because day changes to night and thats when the creepers come out , you have to hide in you're base till morning ready for a new day.

No, in its current form, MineCraft's 'survival' is limited to digging a hole, and hiding till day light comes again.

You have no need to find food or water, and shelter is only to keep the over powered mobs from killing you.

I'd call it survival, though it doesn't have the food/water type features.
But it still requires you to survive in other ways.

It isn't survival by your definition though.

Quote:
Original post by thePyro_13
I'd call it survival, though it doesn't have the food/water type features.
But it still requires you to survive in other ways.

It isn't survival by your definition though.

Is Counter Strike in the "Survival" Genre? After all part of the game is to not die,...

Survival as a genre borrows from life and literature, where the point is seeing to the needs of the weak human body, and surviving against all aspects of nature. Food, water, shelter, and all the various hazards of nature. Not just a select few such as not getting your face ripped off by a bear while you frolic through the woods for weeks on end without food or water.

I think you define the genre by the primary purpose of the game.

Given I've a) never played Minecraft and b) never heard that you do anything but dig holes and build levels in Minecraft up until today, then I'd say it's probably not really a survival game, it's just a seconday goal.

@Portugal Stew: Have you played the full version? And care to elaborate on
what you mean by "missing the survival aspect"? :D

Quote:
Original post by sitwind
@Portugal Stew: Have you played the full version? And care to elaborate on
what you mean by "missing the survival aspect"? :D

In the full version you still get the sand box building game; harvest blocks and build stuff. (Actually I think in the base game you could only spawn and destroy blocks, not harvest?) It also contains a number of monsters who will seek you out and try to kill you. They spawn at night, or in dark places, and exist only to annoy/kill the player. After they kill you, you respawn and go about your business.

I've played the full version (probably more than I should) and I would not call it a survival game. Certainly not anymore than any other game where there's critters that try to kill you. I think a survival game would feature more consistant threats to survival and a greater reliance on the environment.

Dying in Minecraft is just annoying, there's no real penalty. Your buildings are still here and you can get your equipment back.

So dying is not a big deal. Still, Minecraft is more scary than any survival-horror games (ala Resident Evil or Silent Hill). Because you really face a zombie invasion: the day you go out to collect stuff and build your defenses, and the night you wait, shaking in your little hole, hearing creepy sounds coming from outside.

It's more a horror game than a survival game for me :)

There's definitely a basis there for a survival game, but I'd hardly consider it one currently. It kind of depends what direction the author wants to take it in at this point.