OpenGL/SDL texture not mapping to plane

Started by
6 comments, last by karwosts 13 years, 5 months ago
I just recently started trying to use OpenGL with SDL and I have an idea why its not working but no idea on how to fix it

I think it has something to do with this function
void SDL_loadGLTexture(SDL_Surface* bmpFile, GLuint &textr, GLsizei n/*, int red = NULL, int green = NULL, int blue = NULL*/){     /* Standard OpenGL texture creation code */     glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT,4); 	      glGenTextures(n,&textr);     glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,textr);          glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);     glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_NEAREST); 		     glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, bmpFile->w, bmpFile->h,        0, GL_BGR, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, bmpFile->pixels);}

if thats not it, it might be in one of these but I honestly have no idea

SDL_Surface* LoadBMP2texture (char* filename, GLuint &text, GLsizei n){            SDL_Surface* temp=SDL_LoadBMP(filename);            SDL_loadGLTexture(temp,text,n);            return temp;}

void DisplayImage(float x, float y, SDL_Surface* image, GLuint textr, float angle, float scale, bool center=false){                        glLoadIdentity();                        glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textr);                        glTranslatef(x,y,0);                        glRotatef(angle,0.0f,0.0f,1);                        glBegin(GL_QUADS);                        if (center == true)                        {                        glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(-(image->w/2)*scale, -(image->h/2)*scale,0);                        glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f((image->w/2)*scale, -(image->h/2)*scale, 0);                        glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f((image->w/2)*scale, (image->h/2)*scale, 0);                        glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(-(image->w/2)*scale, (image->h/2)*scale, 0);                        }                        else                        {                        glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(1*scale, 1*scale,0);                        glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(image->w*scale, 1*scale, 0);                        glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(image->w*scale, image->h*scale, 0);                        glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(1*scale, image->h*scale, 0);                        }                        glEnd();}

Please help :\
------------------------------------------------- Music helps the soul, ALL PROGRAMMERS SHOULD DO IT WHILE THEY PROGRAM"75 out of 256 workers at a large retail company were issued with personal stereos to wear at work for four weeks showed a 10% increase in productivity"
Advertisement
Have you called "glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);" anywhere in your program? OpenGL won't sample texels in the fixed pipeline unless you enable texturing.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Yeah right here:

void SDL_GL_INIT(SDL_Surface* &surface, int WIDTH, int HEIGHT){          SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);             surface = SDL_SetVideoMode(WIDTH, HEIGHT, 32, SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER | SDL_OPENGL);          glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 0);          glClearDepth(1.0f);          glViewport(0, 0, WIDTH, HEIGHT);          glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);          glLoadIdentity();          glOrtho(0, 640, 480, 0, 1, -1);          glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);          glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);          glLoadIdentity();}
------------------------------------------------- Music helps the soul, ALL PROGRAMMERS SHOULD DO IT WHILE THEY PROGRAM"75 out of 256 workers at a large retail company were issued with personal stereos to wear at work for four weeks showed a 10% increase in productivity"
Please describe in more detail what "not working" means.
[size=2]My Projects:
Quote:Original post by karwosts
Please describe in more detail what "not working" means.

it does everything I want except put the image on the plane, they are just white blocks... and I look at my code and nothing looks wrong to me. but obviously it is haha.
Hmm I don't notice anything wrong after a bit of scrutiny. Have you tried calling glGetError in your rendering loop? If it returns nonzero then you have a problem somewhere.
[size=2]My Projects:
Can you give me an example haha... as I said I recently started using it (VERY RECENT) and I haven't really got into error checking yet...
glGetError

Each time you make a call to opengl it can create an error. This will never be known to you unless you check for errors. You should always check at least once during each main loop so that you know if something is going wrong.

You just put this:
int err = glGetError();

Somewhere in your main loop (not between glBegin and glEnd though, that's illegal).

If it returns zero then you are fine. Any other number is an error code that you can use to diagnose what is wrong. They are not very descriptive, so you have to do a bit of investigating to find out what is wrong. You can end up with some code like this:

int err;err = glGetError(); //A (returns 0)glBlahBlah();glBlahBlah();glBlahBlah();err = glGetError(); //B (returns 0)glBlahBlah();glBlahBlah();glBlahBlah();err = glGetError(); //C (returns nonzero)

In this case you know that somewhere between B and C you've done something illegal. But just once per frame is enough to tell if there's anything wrong, the error is stored until you check for error (and then cleared).

If you get an error post the block of code that you've narrowed it down to and we can look at it.
[size=2]My Projects:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement