Sign in to follow this  
Kada

Killer Game Programming [Java 3D] outdated?

Kada    100
Hi, I'm thinking of picking up the book Killer Game Programming by Andrew Davidson, but its pretty old now. I know Java, and I've been messing with jMonkeyEngine for a few days now, but I'm curious to see if people would think I would benefit from starting from the 3D chapters of this book and working my way through them, having ?

How is the source code? Has Java changed to the point where this book is now obsolete? Will I have my hand held through most of it, or is it just concepts?

The chapters at the end of the book that seem to explain how to take all the 3D drawing in a scene graph you learned and then applying it to the creation of a client/server and having multiple avatars move around in this 3D world seems amazing to me, but I fear it may just be book marketing and that there isnt full source code in the book.

If you definitely think I shouldn't get this book, can you post references/tutorials/books to other sources you recommend for 3D game programming? Maybe theres a website that runs through full tutorials on game building with LWJGL or something.

Thanks so much!

kkrz    144
I have this book. However, I've never made it past the first few chapters and admittedly, I'm more of a C++ guy than a Java guy.

However, I've been told that Java 3D is a dead technology and to avoid it at all costs. If you are looking to get into 3D gamedev in Java, you should probably consider looking into JOGL. I am merely passing on the advice of java programmers more experienced than I.

Gage64    1235
I think JOGL is also considered outdated, but I'm not sure. Most people seem to recommend LWJGL over it.

Also, there's a draft version of that book available here for free, including the source code.

The author also has a newer book, Pro Java 6 3D Game Development, and a free draft version is available here, including the source code.

Finally, make sure to check the reviews on Amazon before deciding on what book to use.