Sign in to follow this  
aersixb9

MMO Chess Community Game

I think chess is a great classic copyright-free game that is tragically underrepresented online these days. My most recent chess playing bouts were on chess.com , which had a clean if primitive and simple chess playing experience in a web browser.

My idea is to add some popular MMO-like features and other gaming features to the classic game of chess. 3D graphics is a plus, as is making the game pretty and having lots of different chess pieces, sets, boards, clocks, and setting environments, all of which can be upgraded using points or however earned from playing chess with other players.

Chess could be played in normal games, speed chess, and other standard chess variants, including slow turn-based with log-off delays between moves and also plenty of real-time games. There could also be other chess based "experimental" games, including things like playing with no pawns, playing with different pieces, playing with uneven starting pieces, playing with extra magic power up cards and other things, like squares that light up and can transform pieces or rearrange the board, and other ways to innovate and expand upon chess while also keeping the base mechanics and skills similar.

Each piece could be treated like an MMO character, in that a player could customize them with outfits, different piece features, a variety of hairstyles, and other things. A new player might start out by designing their king piece, which would look like a basic king maybe with some color options and different nub crown styles. They would then get a basic chess army set, and upgrade their pieces via options, points, buying, or however from playing, probably with nice 3D boards and other options.

There would also be tournaments, friend lists, chatting areas, and other socialization options around chess, along with an elaborate replay system, scoring, matchmaking, ladders, and other point and statistical systems.

Hello Aersixb9,

I enjoy playing chess as well, but never checkout the above site. But that is okay. I would like to see this idea as well. I think it would be interesting to upgrade armor or suits of armor for the knights, pawns, and horses.

How about different weapons and items if need be or something along the lines to make the replay value of the game last a little longer instead of moving and knocking down the piece to earn it.

Why couldn't there be levels that changes the board to an upper level or lower level or change the setting of the location? I like your idea to enlarge the board as well and maybe even shrink the board. You know the in your face strike position. Or about about flip the board. Or have the board become a four way play table. Or how about reverse the players turns? This means if I started playing with the white pieces and my friend played with the gray pieces, I would move his pieces toward me while he would move my white pieces toward him. But we wouldn't switch seats.

More than ten years ago I have done this feature with my friend and it was difficult at first but it was interesting to play. We had a great time trying to figure out which figure to move from the opposite side of the board.

Hope these ideas and suggestions help you out in some small way.
Enjoy.

Just a random thought on chess, and in particular multiplayer chess and chess AIs. I was thinking of a neat spin on chess, which I'll call cybernetically assisted chess, or "cyborg chess". The basic idea is to build a chess AI into a client that the human controls. This AI will then report what moves it would consider as reasonably good based on its internal numbers to the player during each player's move. Both players would have access to matching high quality AIs.

In terms of gameplay, instead of players looking at all the pieces and picking any move, this would suggest a few moves from the 'hard' AI and highlight them as options, with maybe a % showing how good the AI thinks each move is. Click the pieces to move them, this might show new and experienced chess players more practical options for moves and increase the quality of many games while teaching players a variety of chess tricks. This could be done in single player mode or multiplayer, and seems to fix the chess 'hack' where you use a strong chess AI to boost your number apparently to trick people into thinking you're good at chess without actually being able to play, since if you did your skills would clearly not match your number, but anyways it's games and people seem to be into cheating the rules around here, I blame average rule quality.