My First Project: Space Game

Started by
3 comments, last by robert4818 13 years, 5 months ago
Alrighty. My last attempt at this got locked, mainly because I posted too much code.

That problem has been fixed:)

The current version of this homemade video game can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hq91x7jg8fi3o6k

The "Main" is found in StarGame.Java

The code itself is sloppy and follw some bad habits, but I'm not overly concerned about that. I'm looking for some general feedback on the game design itself.

The game is broken (at the moment) into a few different screens. Instructions for those are below:

You can press f2 at any time to reset the game.

Start Screen:
up/down arrows: change selection
enter: Enter selection.
The Small game is on a 3x3 map, while the large game is on a 5x5 map.

Space Screen (flying bad guys and asteroids)
Up/Down arrows: speed up/slow down
left/right arrows: turn left or right
space bar: Shoot

You can shoot the bad guys for points, asteroids and the edge of the screen stop your shots. You can fly off the side of the screen, and will move towards into a new screen (unless you are on an edge screen).

Capital Ship Approach
This screen is randomly placed within the space screen map. When you reach it the screen will automatically change to a new screen with a large light grey square in the middle, 4 red circles, and a smaller dark grey square.

Direction arrows: Move you in the specified direction.
Space Bar: Shoot
"E": Enter the Capital Ship.

This can only be done when you are within the dark grey square (the doors). A message will display on screen telling you to hit E to enter.

You can shoot the guns (red circles) in order to deactivate them.

Inside the capital Ship
Direction arrows: move you up/down/left/right
Space bar: Shoot

Fly through the randomly generated walls, shoot the enemies. At the end of this very short screen, shoot the red block 10 times to destroy the ship.

At this point you can consider the game "won" you can still continue to fly through the space screen and shoot bad guys. But the capital ship will not reappear.

[Edited by - robert4818 on November 10, 2010 10:20:48 PM]
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
Advertisement
You might want to embed it on a webpage,
or export it as an exe.
Quote:Original post by Wai
You might want to embed it on a webpage,
or export it as an exe.

:( I don't know how to do that. I'm still in my first semester of programming. Right now we call up what we have from the command prompt.

I did forget to add.

The "Main" is in StarGame.java
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.

I didn't try it, but I like how you implemented variation in your first game.

Stage 1: Flying through space against asteroids and small fighters
Stage 2: Fighting turrets and enter the capital ship
Stage 3: Flying inside the ship to destroy it.

Someone could probably compile and run it.
I don't have JRE.
Quote:Original post by Wai

I didn't try it, but I like how you implemented variation in your first game.

Stage 1: Flying through space against asteroids and small fighters
Stage 2: Fighting turrets and enter the capital ship
Stage 3: Flying inside the ship to destroy it.

Someone could probably compile and run it.
I don't have JRE.

Thanks!

This version is spartan, even with my rather spartan dream for it. I think I'm about 1/2 way through my design. I still have the planet maps to add, as well as the upgrades and the flags for the wormhole and the final boss.

:) But I'm happy I've gotten the game together as far as I have considering I'm using this game as practice for my first semester of programming.

:( No sound or graphics beyond basic shapes. But, Its not meant to be pretty. After all my capital ship is a large grey rectangle...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement