Sign in to follow this  
DribbleDribble

Java question - program for editing/modifying pictures/images

DribbleDribble    100
Hello everyone, I am sorta kinda new with Java, I can program fairly well, but we recently were assigned to make a program that would automatically change a color picture to grayscale, and allow you to darken the image, brighten the image, and resize it.

Only problem is, I missed when we covered it in class do to my sister having a baby.

So, I was wondering if anyone could either help me out a bit, or point me in the direction of some code for an existing program that does this, or to some tutorials that could help me.

Thanks in advance!

Oluf    149
I bet there is something about it in your book ;)
otherwise try and make it, and then when you bump into a problem you cant solve post the source code and a clear explanation of what is going wrong and I am sure someone can help out.

voguemaster    183
Well, basically BufferedImage is your target image and you can do lots of things with it, even access the actual memory banks of the image and manipulate them.

Its quite a read if you're up to it as creating a buffered image from scratch involves creating rasters and defining their type and encoding scheme. Its a very generic way and can produce many types of formats so it can be overwhelming at the beginning.

Once you do get a grasp of it, it would be a simple thing to reach an image's RGB values and convert to grayscale.

I don't know of anything automatic to do it in Java.