Video Settings of my Game

Started by
5 comments, last by ValMan 13 years, 5 months ago
I wonder if there is any site, tutorial or article to comment on the options i can add in my game. For example I do not know how I change my device "filtering mode" / "texture detail" / etc ..

And I can use the following method when changing the Resolution?

IDirect3DStateBlock9* pStateBlock = NULL;   m_pDevice->CreateStateBlock(D3DSBT_ALL, &pStateBlock);   pStateBlock->Capture();   pStateBlock->Apply();   pStateBlock->Release();

Thanks
http://mateusvitali.wordpress.com/
Advertisement
To change resolution:

1. release unmanaged resources
2. for others you might need to use OnResetDevice() method
3. fill present params with your new resolution
4. then call IDirect3DDevice9::Reset method with your new present params
5. restore resources

For "texture detail" (if i understood you correctly) check IDirect3DBaseTexture9::SetLOD method
Thank you friend,

if not abuse their good will, you know any sample that shows these changes?!
Maybe this one check tutorial 7.
my thinking is correct?
void DxManager::ChangeScreenResolution(int iWidth, int iHeight, bool bFullscreen){    if(bFullscreen && m_pFullscreen) // If we are fullscreen already..        if((iWidth == m_pWidth) && (iHeight == m_pHeight))            return; // Already in requested mode.    d3dpp.Windowed = !bFullscreen;    d3dpp.BackBufferWidth = iWidth;    d3dpp.BackBufferHeight = iHeight;    if(!bFullscreen)    {        RECT client = {0, 0, iWidth, iHeight};        AdjustWindowRect(&client, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, false);        d3dpp.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = 0;        d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_R5G6B5;        SetWindowLongPtr(wndHandle, GWL_STYLE, WS_POPUP);        SetWindowPos(wndHandle, HWND_TOP, 100, 100, client.right, client.bottom, SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_SHOWWINDOW);    }    else    {        d3dpp.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT;        d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_R5G6B5;        SetWindowLongPtr(wndHandle, GWL_STYLE, WS_POPUP);        SetWindowPos(wndHandle, HWND_TOP, 0, 0, iWidth, iHeight, SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_SHOWWINDOW);         }    direct3dDevice->Reset(&d3dpp);    return;        }
Quote:
my thinking is correct?

Partialy yes.

Take this step before changing resolution:
release resources (meshes, vertex/index buffers, render targets, "regular" textures...) based on creation flags (MANAGED, DEFAULT, SYSTEMMEM...) for example:
//some managed "resources" have OnLostDevice()/OnResetDevice() methods//so you dont need to recreate them from scratch//they can "survive" device->Reset() methodvoid DxManager::OnPreReset()//function to release all res.{    effect1->OnLostDevice();    effect2->OnLostDevice();    effect3->OnLostDevice();    ...    //release dynamic V/I B's    vertexBuffer1->Release();    vertexBuffer2->Release();    indexBuffer1->Release();    ...}void DxManager::OnPostReset()//function to recreate res.{    effect1->OnResetDevice();    effect2->OnResetDevice();    effect3->OnResetDevice();    ...    //here create V/I B's again from scratch    ...}void DxManager::ChangeScreenResolution(int iWidth, int iHeight, bool bFullscreen)//your function{    //ommited your code    ...    OnPreReset();    device->Reset(newParams)    hr = device->TextCooperativeLevel();//check if succeded     if (succesfuly reseted )    {         OnPostReset();    }    ...}

Check all function that returns HRESULT for possible failure!
Check supported resolutions/backbuffer formats before feeding it into d3dpparams!

You might want to read this also

I am writing this from memory so i might made mistake.

Quote:
...d3dpp.Windowed = !bFullscreen;//why '!' if you pass bFullscreen as parametar?//d3dpp.Windowed = bFullscreen;//should be this...

I think the texture detail setting is supposed to reduce texture memory usage, which means you physically have to load smaller resolution textures. SetLOD only controls the mip level used from a texture with mip levels already loaded. In order to selectively load mip map levels from a texture, I think you would have to load the texture with default resolution and then go through all levels (see GetLevelCount) and call GetSurfaceLevel to copy data into another, "reduced" texture while skipping the first "n" number of levels depending on how low the quality is. Then unload the original texture and use the "reduced" texture in its place.

There is also a Filtering setting in most games, which controls sampler state between Point, Linear and Anisotropic (see D3DTEXTUREFILTERTYPE). Newever implementations may also have Pyramidal, Quad, etc. You set that with SetSamplerState for MagFilter and MinFilter states.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement