Sign in to follow this  
Lostvoices

C# - Like MS Access

Lostvoices    122
Hey Guys,

at work we are using MS Access as a database. we experience alot of problems with this, we have had records just dissapear form the DB and we got a new access DB made. now we are noticing fields disapearing such as a Member number which i know i entered months ago, some are now blank.

I was wondering, would it be hard to write something in c# similar to this?

i started making one in PHP and MYSQL and it was working fine However it would be nice to have a .exe file we can launch from the desktop and not in a browser.

we really only need the following:

* view the records
* edit the records
* add new records
* query to a spreadsheet.

the query is probably the least important at the moment.

thanks

Washu    7829
No, thankfully writing a buggy database in C# is fairly trivial.

However, if you're looking to avoid bugs, you could always try out one of the embedded SQL database variants, such as SQLLite.

TheTroll    883
C# and an mdb database is pretty easy. For the basics it would only take a few days.

Now with that being said. Writing a GOOD database app takes skill. There is a lot more to it then most people think.

Number one rule. All data exists only once. Not as easy at people think it might be.

theTroll

Lostvoices    122
Quote:
Original post by TheTroll
C# and an mdb database is pretty easy. For the basics it would only take a few days.

Now with that being said. Writing a GOOD database app takes skill. There is a lot more to it then most people think.

Number one rule. All data exists only once. Not as easy at people think it might be.

theTroll

Hey thanks, so i need to look into Mdb then.

in PHP and Mysql i got a few features i wanted in it to work :)
* if member exists with same surname and DoB and Member # you may not create a new entry as they already are there
* if member is inactive background goes from a green to a red to easily see the status.
* if member is active, you may add now "claims" to the members files, if they are inactive this feature is disabled.
*seperate View and Edit tabs.
*searching via partial so a search for "Thom" will bring all members with surname "thomas, thompson.. so on"

these are some of the features i will need :)the PHP version will be Perfect i was just thinking a windows app might be nice

Eelco    301
Putting together a c# / entity framework / SQLserver basic database does not have a very steep learning curve. Id never worked with databases before and I was able to figure out all I needed in a few days.

Exposing your data to ironpython is really neat if you want to access/filter/output your data to other programs. LINQ and DLR ftw.