Sign in to follow this  

2D game like secret of mana?

This topic is 2593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I'm new to game programming and I would like to make a game like Secret of Mana. I don't want to make a SNES rom, I would like to make it a computer game specifically for the computer. I have some questions though.

Since I'm new to programming, what programming language would you recommend I build the game in? Are there certain game engines I could use to make it easier? Certain sound engines and graphic engines to use? Also, are there any recommended tutorials to follow to lead to building games?

I'm looking to make my own graphics, sounds (possibly) and music for the game. If you could help me with finding any programs for making these things easier, that would help me a bunch. If there's anything else that you could add such as tutorials, that would help me too. Thank you for your time.

This all depends how you want to set it up

I use adobe flash and Acionscript 3 for my 2d games.
sounds i just google if i need some
Music i make my own with FL Studio
Graphics i have someone else make because i am a horrible artist. just horrible.

there are game makers out there but if you want to go that way but i'm not a big fan of them.

other languages you could learn are C++,C#,Java just to name a few
youwill also want to learn maybe OPenGL or Xna studio.

I use flash because you can simply draw / animate the characters in flash save as a movieclip and ready to go.

but still you will not be able to jump right into Game Programming. you wil need to learn the core of the language you choose to go into.

If you are interested in making a game and not really in to learning how to program I would go with game maker or game salad. If you are interested in programming then I would suggest python and the book(a free pdf) python the hard way. Then Panda3d for making the game.

Quote:
Original post by stonemetal
If you are interested in making a game and not really in to learning how to program I would go with game maker or game salad. If you are interested in programming then I would suggest python and the book(a free pdf) python the hard way. Then Panda3d for making the game.

Wow,

is Python really that good for games? i didn't realize it could do this. and panda 3d looks cool too.

i will be looking into these

I'd recommend one of the higher-level development environments -- Flash, PyGame, XNA -- or failing that, at least use one of the simpler multimedia libraries if you settle on a language like C or C++ -- something like SFML or SDL. Dealing with the setup and larning curve of more "raw" APIs like OpenGL or DirectX would just get in the way for a beginner.

This topic is 2593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.