Sign in to follow this  
obi-wan shinobi

VC++ link errors and antivirus issue

So, in the process of trying to build a level parser for my SFML project, I try some file loading code using a FILE object and an istream object, but neither seemed to want to read a file, though at least the FILE object verified that the file was present and opened. The strange thing is that elsewhere in my code, I had another FILE object that was writing debug messages to a text file and this had no problems opening the file or writing to it.

The problem is that after crashing a few times, my application was targeted as malware by AVG antivirus and placed in the virus vault. I had to restart my system in order to scan it, after which no viruses were found. The message from AVG itself listed "conhost.exe" as a system process that was connected to my game executable in the Release folder of VC++ 2008.

Oh, and no matter how many times I try, the code will not create an executable in the Release configuration anymore, though the Debug configuration will (as long as I don't mind using the Debug dlls).

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Users\user_1\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\sfml_cpp_1\Release\sfml_cpp_1.exe'

That's the error message I've been getting ever since my level parsing code has had a problem.
FILE *test;
char *text;
test = fopen("debugtext.txt", "r");
fgets(text, 35, test);
int l = strlen(text);
// insert null terminator over the newline
text[l-2] = 0;
cout << "File output: " << text << endl << "Output length: " << l << endl;

This is the code similar to the code that crashed my program and was assumed to be malware, except it had no problem working when I tested it.

Does anyone have any good idea on why this happened or has this happened to others?

fastcall22    10838
Quote:
Original post by obi-wan shinobi

FILE *test;
char *text;
test = fopen("debugtext.txt", "r");
fgets(text, 35, test);
int l = strlen(text);
// insert null terminator over the newline
text[l-2] = 0;
cout << "File output: " << text << endl << "Output length: " << l << endl;

You're using C++; use fstream, string, and getline. They'll make your life a whole lot easier:

ifstream fs( "debugtext.txt" );
string line;
getline( fs, line ); // Look! We didn't even need to know the length of the line before hand!

cout << "File output: " << line << endl << "Output length" << line.length() << endl;

That aside, fgets requires the str parameter to point to a character array. In your code, text does not point to any such thing, and fgets happily writes over who-knows-what with the contents of your file.

Quote:

Oh, and no matter how many times I try, the code will not create an executable in the Release configuration anymore, though the Debug configuration will (as long as I don't mind using the Debug dlls).

Did you try rebuilding your project? Have you tried migrating to a new project?

Quote:

... though at least the FILE object verified that the file was present and opened

Wait, what?

[Edited by - _fastcall on November 12, 2010 2:18:36 AM]

Migrating the source files to another project worked, but rebuilding the old project in VC++ still give the same linker error. Cleaning the project and building gives the error too.

About fstream and c++, I do know how to use it and would have preferred to, but for whatever reason, I had trouble getting it to work in my project so far. What I meant by "though at least the FILE object verified that the file was present and opened" was that code such as

if(file != NULL)
cout << "Success" << endl;
else
cout << "Failure" << endl;

will print "Success" after a call to fopen(file, "r"), even though trying to read even the first line would cause a crash, and writing to a file opened with "w" presented no problems whatsoever. I'll try fstream again in this new project and probably post whatever code and errors I get from it.