GameDev.net XNA 4.0 Winter Workshop in time for DBP 2011!

Started by
56 comments, last by moeen k 12 years, 9 months ago
I'm still trying to decide if I want to join this, but I did have a few questions regarding XNA 4.0 and the workshop. Is XNA 4.0 strictly mobile phone development or is there still support for the Xbox 360 and computer? Furthermore, if there is still support for the computer and Xbox 360, then are we developing our games for the other systems as well, or are we strictly mobile phone development?

I haven't really read much up on the new 4.0 system, although it seems cool, I'm just not huge into the mobile deal. What happened to just calling people from landlines :(.
Advertisement
First off, count me in! I've been coding XNA for a little over a year - self-taught - but I've been looking for a decent formal intro to 3D.

Quote:Original post by nooblet
I'm still trying to decide if I want to join this, but I did have a few questions regarding XNA 4.0 and the workshop. Is XNA 4.0 strictly mobile phone development or is there still support for the Xbox 360 and computer? Furthermore, if there is still support for the computer and Xbox 360, then are we developing our games for the other systems as well, or are we strictly mobile phone development?

I haven't really read much up on the new 4.0 system, although it seems cool, I'm just not huge into the mobile deal. What happened to just calling people from landlines :(.

XNA 4.0 still supports XBox and the PC; however, Microsoft's marketing has emphasized the Windows Phone 7 and a lot of the new tutorials are targeted at it - logically, since it's a new platform. However, this has come with a radical change in forum and support structure, and it's irritating some of the XBox developers, who earlier were the centerpieces of the community & XNA and are now relegated to the side.
Proud creator of gCode SL and the XNA Platformer,Zwiel.
Ah, thanks a lot! That's what I noticed on the site too, so I stopped visiting and just kind of switched over back to C++/SDL. I'm going to join in on this too :-). It'll be a great learning experience! I look forward to learning with everybody!
@lord of 13
your zwiel looks really good! How long did it take you to finish that?
This sounds great! I was planning on getting some XNA into my portfolio so this will be great motivation to do so!
Game Designer at Playground Games
Will be interested to join. Will keep an eye out for more details.
Many thanks to you for volunteering your time for this! I'll be signing up and I'm looking forward to it.
Just put a new post on my blog. I'm working on the outline and am asking people to provide feedback on the topics they'd like covered.

Feel free to post a comment on my blog with what you're interested in learning.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Sounds like I could use this, since I can't really seem to get a game going by myself. This will probably help alot, if I learn it like an actual class.
JWalsh,

I've seen some XNA 4.0 books in amazon. Why don't we just use a XNA 4.0 book as reference :) Just suggesting...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement