Which is recommended/standard? unsigned shorts or unsigned int indices?

Started by
3 comments, last by Washu 13 years, 5 months ago
Hi,

Pretty much as the title says:
Which is the recommended/standard? unsigned shorts or unsigned int indices?

I would think that with the current tech, unsigned integers would be fully supported but I still find some cards on existing laptops require unsigned shorts.

Is there a place I can look up the latest dx/ogl docs for these kind of issue. I googled a bit and I do get some pdfs, but i cannot determine whether they are the latest.

Thanks.

==============================================Rage - Really Amateurish Graphics EngineCollada Parser / Serializer
Advertisement
For the sake of not wasting memory, you should use shorts unless you actually need ints (i.e. more than 65k verts).
Pierre Boudier works for ATI and says to use shorts
Link
@Hodgman
I just wanted to know so I can decide whether a mesh-resource-file should indicate whether it is using ushorts or uints so as to support both.

@foobarbazqux
Pierre's post was back in march, hopefully nothing much has changed. If ushorts is indeed better then I think I should impose the file format rule that vertex count be max of 65k...

------------

Thanks thanks.

==============================================Rage - Really Amateurish Graphics EngineCollada Parser / Serializer
Quote:Original post by jakesee
@Hodgman
I just wanted to know so I can decide whether a mesh-resource-file should indicate whether it is using ushorts or uints so as to support both.

@foobarbazqux
Pierre's post was back in march, hopefully nothing much has changed. If ushorts is indeed better then I think I should impose the file format rule that vertex count be max of 65k...

------------

Thanks thanks.

Not a particularly sane limitation, and its fairly easy for large models to exceed that...

Just support both and either use the number of indices or a flag to indicate which a model should use.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement