Sign in to follow this  
wat--

Conventions

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

In an MMO game, you have players, NPCs and items. You also have trees, doors, stairs etc. What would you call these? I can't just say they're just "objects", because players, NPCs and items are also objects.

Thanks in advance :).

Static scenery and dynamic scenery is microsoft flightsimulator's naming. Objects are classes/structs, so if you want a non-ambigous name you should avoid object ;P

Anyways, the name hardly matters.

You should separate between WORLD and PLAYERS. I think that's about as deep as you wanna go. Everything that is not a player, is world. Voila!

Quote:
Original post by xibo
Static scenery and dynamic scenery is microsoft flightsimulator's naming. Objects are classes/structs, so if you want a non-ambigous name you should avoid object ;P

Anyways, the name hardly matters.

OCD I suppose :p.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking "world object", but yours are probably better.

Edit: @kraz007 lol, hmm, maybe "world object" isn't that bad of a name. I think scenery maybe be more accurate, though.

From what I've seen, 'entity' and 'game object' (GO) are common terms for things like NPC's, players and items. For scenery, I've seen some people using the term 'prop' instead. You could make a further distinction between static and dynamic scenery, if that distinction is somehow important (perhaps for technical reasons).

Either way, just pick something that describes the role well without being ambiguous and stick to it. Some people may argue it doesn't matter, but choosing poor names, having lots of name clashes or being inconsistent with names does make things more confusing. That's true for pretty much all the code you write. Proper communication is important. :)

Quote:
Original post by Captain P
From what I've seen, 'entity' and 'game object' (GO) are common terms for things like NPC's, players and items. For scenery, I've seen some people using the term 'prop' instead. You could make a further distinction between static and dynamic scenery, if that distinction is somehow important (perhaps for technical reasons).

Either way, just pick something that describes the role well without being ambiguous and stick to it. Some people may argue it doesn't matter, but choosing poor names, having lots of name clashes or being inconsistent with names does make things more confusing. That's true for pretty much all the code you write. Proper communication is important. :)

Thanks, Captain P.

Yes, I am somewhat going to make a distinction between static and dynamic scenery.