Sign in to follow this  

Objective C NSMutableArray Equivalence

This topic is 2586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
Probably the closest equivalent would be std::vector. However, keep in mind that Objective C and C++ are very different languages, and the correspondence is far from 1:1.

Thanks... I shall take a deeper look at that.
Jack

Hi rip-off,
Thanks for your reply. If there is no equivalent for this statement, could you, at your convenience, explain what this code does? because I am porting an objective c project to Visual C++ and I came across a lot of troubles.
Thanks a lot
Jack

NSMutableArray can hold any object type so it's similar to std::vector<Base*> where all your objects inherit from Base. You can then use the typeid operator for roughly the same functionality as Objective C offers. There's also boost::any, but I think it operates on value types, which is fundamentally different to the way Objective c handles objects.

Note that NSArray's and NSMutableArray's are often used with a single type only, so you most likely won't need a fancy solution for that in C++. If you have a NSMutableArray that only ever contains NSString*'s, a std::vector<std::string> (or std::wstring) is just fine.

Also, the two languages are significantly different that a 1:1 translation is not going to give the best results. One thing would be memory management - Objective C uses a retain count system, accompanied by autorelease pools. In C++, the most similar to that are probably shared pointers, but you can also take advantage of the stack and things like RAII. Another thing would be Objective C's messaging system. C++ does not have something like that built-in, so if your project depends on that, you may need to find an alternative solution in C++.

This topic is 2586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.