Sign in to follow this  

DirectX mesh formats

This topic is 2588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone tell me what mesh formats DirectX currently supports loading? IIRC, back in 2004, it could only load some peculiar .x format that I didn't know how to convert to/from.

Thanks.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "supports." Are you asking about DX9 and D3DXLoadMesh..? Static meshes? Animated meshes?

If you're not talking about D3DXLoadMesh.. functions, you can load any format (that can be described with vertex declarations) you want with your own loader.

Quote:
Original post by Buckeye
Not sure exactly what you mean by "supports." Are you asking about DX9 and D3DXLoadMesh..? Static meshes? Animated meshes?

If you're not talking about D3DXLoadMesh.. functions, you can load any format (that can be described with vertex declarations) you want with your own loader.

I guess I was thinking of static meshes and D3DXLoadMeshFromX and wondering if they built in anything for other formats like 3ds or WaveFront obj files.

Quote:
wondering if they built in anything for other formats like 3ds or WaveFront obj files

If you're still talking about DX9, the answer is no. I.e., there's nothing like D3DXLoadMeshFromOBJ, etc. Don't know about later APIs (though I don't believe so).

This topic is 2588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.