Sign in to follow this  
TheRealDeal

Array of Lists

Well, I come here today for a bit of help getting this array of lists to sort itself out correctly. I can't seem to get it quite right on how it would work.

What I'm looking to do is have a single dimension array that holds in each index a list of my structs. In short, each index needs to be able to hold 0 or more structs and I would like to have access to each list by index, something like:

int main() {
list<position*> grid;
list<position>::iterator iter;
myStruct myStructVariable;

grid.resize(height*width);
for (i = 0; i < height*width; i++) {
iter = grid[i].begin();
grid[i].insert(iter, myStructVariable);
}

My current issue is that I'm getting a "no match for operator[] in grid[i]" error every time I try to use a function from the list library such as insert. Assuming this all is the correct way to go about an array of lists, what I hope is that if I want, for example, all of the structs in the 3rd position, I would hopefully do something like

list<position> currentPositionsList = grid[2];

and then use an iterator to scan through all the structs in that list, and then have such a list for every index in the array. If it matters at all to make sense of the indexing, I'm using a single dimension to represent a coordinate, the above example being the same as (3, 0) using an upperleft corner origin.

I do get the feeling this is going to be something fairly simple to fix like a mistake with the pointer, but I'm having a devil of a time finding it. If more context needs to be provided (code or in terms of what I want) I'll post again in a few hours when I can come back to my laptop, but I think this should suffice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
JDDeal

std::list doesn't have a bracket operator. lists don't store members in contiguous memory so such an operation would be O(n) at best. If you want to have quick random access you should be using a std::vector

-me

Hi TheRealDeal.

The error you are getting is showing you that std::list has no operator []. If your grid is a fixed size (height*width) and you really need a random access operator [] consider using a container like std::vector or std::deque.

I'm generally confused by what you are trying to achieve here. Could you clarify?
If the container type is list<position*> grid; then you can only store position pointers in it, and you can't store your myStructs in it.

Which language are you using here? I was presuming you are using C++.

Fancy that, my phone does work well enough with this site. I see what you mean now after looking at the documentation for vectors. I was assuming that since I could declare it with brackets I could access it the same way.

Syntax aside, if I more or less just change everything to vector instead of list, would I be able to accomplish what I described?

Quote:
Original post by TheRealDeal
Syntax aside, if I more or less just change everything to vector instead of list, would I be able to accomplish what I described?

It's a little unclear what you actually intend to do, but given the code you posted, yes.

-me

Steven, the pointer may have been a mistake, and if it truly makes no sense to have it then it can be considered as good as gone. Between your post and Palidines I do understand the issue with the list.

The clarify my goal, imagine a 5x5 grid. Each point on this grid can contain an arbitrary number of my structs, including 0. These can each change at any time. I would like a list of sorts that gives me access to this 0+ number of structs so I can change any one in that list as needed. I now need such a list for every grid location. I'm simply doing a single dimension list to represent each coordinate instead of a 2d one. Thus the idea of an array of lists, or rather vectors if that is a better choice for my needs.

Another way to think of it would be a multimap I believe. One key can have multiple values. And yes, c++ is the language.