Sign in to follow this  
Mallach

Middlecrest Roguelike (Alpha)

Middlecrest (working title) is a roguelike inspired by Daggerfall. The project is currently in an alpha stage and can be downloaded [url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/middlecrest/files/"]here[/url] for testing and for the curious.

Screenshots and Project information can be found [url="http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Middlecrest"]here[/url].

Some users experienced some beginning game crashes and mid-game crashes. Spent a lot of time fixing them so hopefully they shouldn't be an issue anymore. Let me know if they are. Also included a lot of UI updates, so it's prettier :) and added a lot of updates that are essentially under-the-hood and won't be noticed by users mostly.

Implemented Features:
*Basic dungeon, wilderness, and town generation with travel between them
*Basic item generation (weapons and armor) both magical and mundane.
*Inventory
*Basic monsters
*Combat (melee, but magical broke with a previous update)
*Basic class and races during character creation (although, every single class isn't fleshed out yet)
*Shopkeeper NPC's (although, buying and selling not yet enabled)
*FoV (can be tested by using the 'f' command ingame)

Coming Soon:
*Simple quest system
*AI improvements Edited by Mallach

Just updated to a new version: 0.0.80

This update includes class and race choices during character generation. Not all classes are available, since some of them need to be fleshed-out, but all the races and classes available do affect your character's starting stats and skills.

Feel free to check it out and give any feedback.

I've tried version 0.0.81 with not much luck:
Attempt 1 - App launched. Right away picked a race & class, instantly in a fight with a giant spider which kills me, but I'm able to move around (message I'm dead with each move). Then... Crash!
Attempt 2 - crash
Attempt 3 - crash

The above happened on a desktop with Vista (AMD CPU, DDR3, GF8800), I may try on some other pc when I have time

Thanks touch_the_sky for the response.

That is actually very useful, since it tells me some of the bug fixes may not have captured everything.

Did the program crash at the same point every time? And at which point does it crash? Also, are you running a 64bit version of Vista? If so, is there any kind of emulation happening (the binary at sourceforge is compiled for 32-bit)?

Let me know what you find on the the other machine.

And in regards to combat, so far the player is not actually killed off when health reaches zero. This is for testing purposes, since many times during tested I've entered combat (when not trying to) and I have to restart the program because the spider killed me. Very annoying :)

32bit.

You could say it crashed at the same point all the time I guess, as out of 3 attempts only once I could 'do something before it crashed', other 2 crashes were just instant while trying to run it (no exceptions, messages, etc)

Quote:
Original post by touch_the_sky
I've tried version 0.0.81 with not much luck:
Attempt 1 - App launched. Right away picked a race & class, instantly in a fight with a giant spider which kills me, but I'm able to move around (message I'm dead with each move). Then... Crash!
Attempt 2 - crash
Attempt 3 - crash

The above happened on a desktop with Vista (AMD CPU, DDR3, GF8800), I may try on some other pc when I have time

I've got the same situation :( on AMD Turion X2 Mobile RM-76 2.3 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, Windows XP SP3.

Thanks all,

I haven't been able to reproduce the error, but I will do what I can to narrow down the problem and include a fix in the next update.

I have some ideas about what the error could be.

On another note, is there anyone who didn't have a crash occur? What setup did you run it on (XP?, Vista?, 7?, which service packs?, etc)?

I'm trying to get a sense if the issues are related to any particular setup or not.

Sign in to follow this