gluPerspective still looks orthogonal, why?

Started by
1 comment, last by clicku 13 years, 5 months ago
Hi, i'm new to OpenGL and i'm trying to look at a flat tilemap slightly side-on. My approach is to rotate the view and render all the tiles, but i don't get any sort of depth distortion even after calling gluPerspective().

void gluPerspective_( GLdouble fovY, GLdouble aspect, GLdouble zNear, GLdouble zFar ) {	const GLdouble pi = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795;	GLdouble fH = tan( fovY / 360 * pi ) * zNear;	GLdouble fW = fH * aspect;	glFrustum( -fW, fW, -fH, fH, zNear, zFar );}/* Draw scene objects */void renderGL() {	static float theta = 0.0f;	theta += delta;	// Clear and reset	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);		// Render all map tiles (24x24)	glLoadIdentity();	glRotatef(theta, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[0]); // Tilemap texture (48x(48*n))	glBegin(GL_QUADS);				for (int x = -12; x < 12; x++) {			for (int y = -12; y < 12; y++) {				GLfloat tex = ((float)(rand() % 20)) / 20.0f; // Random tile				const GLfloat td = 1.0f / 20.0f;				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, tex+td);				glVertex3f(x / 12.0f, y / 12.0f, 0.0f);				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, tex+td);				glVertex3f((x+1) / 12.0f, y / 12.0f, 0.0f);				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, tex);				glVertex3f((x+1) / 12.0f, (y+1) / 12.0f, 0.0f);				glTexCoord2f(0.0f, tex);				glVertex3f(x / 12.0f, (y+1) / 12.0f, 0.0f);			}		}	glEnd();	// Render player	glLoadIdentity();		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[1]); // Player's texture	glBegin(GL_QUADS);				int animstate = 0;		int direction = 0;		GLfloat x = direction / 4.0f;		GLfloat y = animstate / 4.0f;		const GLfloat d = 1.0f / 4.0f;				glTexCoord2f(x,  y+d);		glVertex3f(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);		glTexCoord2f(x+d,y+d);		glVertex3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);		glTexCoord2f(x+d,y);		glVertex3f(1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);		glTexCoord2f(x,  y);		glVertex3f(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);	glEnd();		/* Flip to screen */	SDL_GL_SwapBuffers();}/* OpenGL Initialisation */bool initGL() {	if (!loadTextures()) return false;	glViewport(0, 0, SCR_WIDTH, SCR_HEIGHT);	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);	glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);	glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);	glClearDepth(1.0f);		glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);	glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL);	glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL_NICEST);	// Enable RGBA Alpha blending	glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);		glEnable(GL_BLEND);	// Set up projection matrix	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);	glLoadIdentity();	gluPerspective_(180.0, ((double)SCR_WIDTH)/((double)SCR_HEIGHT), -10.0, 100.0);	// Set up Modelview matrix	glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);	glLoadIdentity();	// Wireframe mode	//glPolygonMode(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_LINE);	return true;}

Apologies for the large code dump, but could anyone offer any insight?
The camera is looking down the default direction (down the Z axis).
Advertisement
You need to check for opengl errors (glGetError) when you have unexpected behavior, it can help you figure out what's wrong.

I'm guessing that it's not working because you're specifying zNear as -10, when the docs for glFrustum specifies:

Quote:Specify the distances to the near and far depth clipping planes. Both distances must be positive. GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if nearVal or farVal is not positive, or if left = right, or bottom = top, or near = far.

It probably sees the illegal value and just dumps the whole operation like you never called it.

Also if you're converting degrees to radians, doesn't this need to be two pi?
GLdouble fH = tan( fovY / 360 * pi ) * zNear;
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Ah, thank you, it seems to be working now. I changed the gluPerspective call to work between positive 0.1 and 5.0, and couldn't see anything. But since openGL looks down the -Z axis.. i changed the tilemap to render at Z=-1.0 instead of Z=0.0 and now everything works fine.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

My gluPerspective replacement is based of this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement