Is C++ being replaced with C#?

Started by
52 comments, last by Fiddler 13 years, 4 months ago
I'm not sure how many times this has been asked, but I thought I'd ask for myself. When I look at job postings online to see how well the IT/game job market is for programmers, I see that the demand for C# is now in greater demand than C++. Tbh, I don't see many hard core games programmed in C#, but why is it more in demand than C++? I personally don't care for C#, but I can use it when necessary. I personally prefer neither one, because using 100% pure C works just fine for me and I see little benefit to using OOP in games to begin with (except for templates and a few features from inheritance, but the rest feels rather useless to me). But who cares what I think, right?

So is it better to have C# skills these days as opposed to C++? Of course, you can have both, but I prefer C/C++ because it's more "to the metal".
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by blueshogun96
I'Of course, you can have both, but I prefer C/C++ because it's more "to the metal".
I would love to know what exactly you think this means.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it isn't useful.
Quote:Original post by Promit
I'Of course, you can have both, but I prefer C/C++ because it's more "to the metal".

I was told you can't get low level access in C# such as accessing a linear or physical address directly (or is that just in XNA for 360)? I never used C# for anything serious.

Quote:Original post by Programmer One

Why do you assume I don't understand it?

I was told you can't get low level access in C# such as accessing a linear or physical address directly (or is that just in XNA for 360)? I never used C# for anything serious.

Seeing as how you can't actually do that in C++ EITHER without using OS specific functions, which can also be invoked from within C# as well...
Quote:

Because of the statements you made above, combined with what is we're probably going to assumed to be a lack of experience.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

You'll understand when you program more. It sounds like you've never had to program a GUI application in C++ yet. When you do and look at C# and WPF you'll see why a lot of people prefer C# for certain projects. Remember, as has been said a lot on this forum, that languages are tools. You choose the one that best suits your needs. Some companies need to create complex UI applications and C# is usually preferred for that. C++ has a niche since game engines tend to be coded in it.

What kind of job postings have you been looking at? Tools programming?

Because your statement is the equivalent of, "I don't get what is the big deal with cars; horses work just fine for me."

Because your statement is the equivalent of, "I don't get what is the big deal with cars; horses work just fine for me."

That's a bit of a stretch. If C# is a car, I'd say C++ is a car without doors.
Nah, C++ is a car without brakes.

?

;)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement