Seeing throught objects

Started by
19 comments, last by galop1n 13 years, 4 months ago
Hi ,

In my scene , I need a mesh which has many objects itself.
Unfortunately I can see thru objects , so I can see even objects behind other objects
which is something I dont want :

-DX SDK s mesh viewer is able to render it properly so I dont see thru objects in the mesh

- There is no textures applied , so I am sure it has nothing to do with texture stages

-For my rendering parameters :
backface culling has turned off ( for debugging )
z buffering has been turned on

So what do you suggest me to check ?
Advertisement
Sounds like you have alpha blending enabled.

Have you checked your Pixel Shader Code if the Alpha-Value gets calculated correctly?

Things you could try:

- just before the return command in your pixel shader, set your Out-Color Alpha value to 1.0f
- Turn the Alpha Blend state off for that Pixel shader
Sorry , i forgot to mention it ,
no i turned alphablending off before rendering and it is not being turned on anywhere:

myDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, FALSE );

Just in case all `alpha` values in my lights and materials are zero even i turned alpha blending off...

And also I dont have any shaders at the moment
Quote:Just in case all `alpha` values in my lights and materials are zero..

Should be 1.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

For both cases (1 and 0) it does not change anything

( I have just 1 directional lgiht and 1 material )
Any suggestions ? What should I check ?
Wait a minute... By "Seeing Through an Object", what exactly do you mean?

Is the object infront blended with the object in the Back? Like looking through a colored Glas window?

Or is it drawing the object in the back on top of the object infront?
The first one :

"the object infront blended with the object in the Back"

For example there is a house in my scene , its door is open , DX SDK mesh viewer
just shows the interior of the house , whereas my code shows interior blendded with things in the back of that house.

Alphablending is turned off , Zbuffering is used properly, there is no textures so nothing todo with texture stages or texture blending
Post your code for setting the device state ( SetRenderState(...), etc. ) and the code for rendering the mesh. Please use [code][/code] or [source][/source] tags.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

the repro code is as below.
The problem is as I said , i can backs of objects...

As I play with lighting it does not change it.( if i just set ambient light something like 255-255-255-1 this time I dont see back of objects but I cant see details in the objects since intensity of light is too much )

But please note that if I fill vertex buffers customly with the vertex type
with appropriate surface normals, then i have no problem...

I have found some 3dsmax models , converted them to X by using Panda and the problem occurs for them...

Also would there be any workaround by texturing and setting texture stages properly ?

HRESULT SetupD3D(HWND hWnd){    // Create the D3D object.    if (NULL == (g_pD3D = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION)))        return E_FAIL;    // Set up the structure used to create the D3DDevice    D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp;    ZeroMemory(&d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp));    d3dpp.Windowed = TRUE;    d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;    d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_UNKNOWN;    d3dpp.EnableAutoDepthStencil = TRUE;    d3dpp.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DFMT_D16;    // Create the D3DDevice    if (FAILED(g_pD3D -> CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWnd,                                    D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,                                    &d3dpp, &g_pd3dDevice)))    {        return E_FAIL;    }    	// Enable the Z buffer, since we're dealing with 3D geometry.	g_pd3dDevice -> SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZENABLE, D3DZB_TRUE);    return S_OK;}

2. Load a mesh , setup view and projection matrix

3. Lighting :

VOID SetupLights(){	// Define a light - possesses only a diffuse colour.    D3DLIGHT9 Light1;    ZeroMemory(&Light1, sizeof(D3DLIGHT9));    Light1.Type = D3DLIGHT_POINT;	Light1.Diffuse.r = 1.0f;	Light1.Diffuse.g = 1.0f;	Light1.Diffuse.b = 1.0f;		Light1.Position.x = 25.0f;	Light1.Position.y = 30.0f;	Light1.Position.z = -50.0f;	Light1.Attenuation0 = 1.0f; 	Light1.Attenuation1 = 0.0f; 	Light1.Attenuation2 = 0.0f;    Light1.Range = 500.0f;	// Select and enable the light.    g_pd3dDevice -> SetLight(0, &Light1);    g_pd3dDevice -> LightEnable(0, TRUE);	g_pd3dDevice ->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING,TRUE);	}

4. Render

void Render(){    g_pd3dDevice -> Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 0, 0), 1.0f, 0);    // Begin the scene    if (SUCCEEDED(g_pd3dDevice -> BeginScene()))    {		g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE,FALSE);			for (DWORD i = 0; i < dwNumMaterials; i++)		{				g_pd3dDevice -> SetMaterial(&(MeshMaterials));			g_pd3dDevice -> SetTexture(i, MeshTextures);				Mesh -> DrawSubset(i);		}            g_pd3dDevice -> EndScene();    }    g_pd3dDevice -> Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement