Efficient 3D Movement?

Started by
3 comments, last by phantom887 13 years, 4 months ago
Hey, everyone! I am planning to make a space RTS in which your armies can move along all three axis instead of just x and y. It would add a whole new dimension to the strategy if you not only had to defend the sides of you planet, but the top and bottom of it as well. There just one problem. How the heck would you control your troops? I haven't been able to think of a (efficient) way that you would be able to quickly designate the destination coordinates of a unit in all three axis. Even if you're not sure about it, any ideas would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Longitude and latitude, Google polar coordinates (assuming since you mentioned a 3d planet)

******************************************************************************************
Youtube Channel

Flotilla does a good job at managing 3D movement. It's a bit more cumbersome than you'd want in an RTS, but I figured successful examples would be a good place to start.
Have a look at how the HomeWorld series did it. For the most part, you designate locations in 2D, with a 3rd axis you can drag up/down if you are holding shift.
In HW2, when you bring up the move disk, most objects also appear with new marker lines down to the disk so you can see in all 3 dimensions where it actually is.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, just did something where you point the camera in a direction, and then drag a marker out along the camera at. As you drag it out, each object on the screen has a range marker that lights up as you approximately reach that equal range.
Thanks, guys! And quick responses, too. I think I'm going with something homeworldish.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement