Sign in to follow this  
Shankem

Newb questions

Shankem    100
I've been thinking about making a turn based multiplayer game, right now I'm just thinking it would be 2 players in a game. There are some things I'm not really sure about though. I think I would need some kind of lobby server where players could host games and another player could join. I was also thinking that I would need a database to store a user's information like name, password, stats, etc. The problem is that the extent of my server/client knowledge is making a simple chat client recently, and not the server. I was told the server was pretty simple though. I've also made a somewhat simple database using db2. My university was running it though, I just connected through ssh on an account they gave me and made my database. Both were just assignments for school, that's about it.

I'm not really sure where to start with learning how to make my own server, database, and especially hosting them I have no idea. If I understand it correctly I think I'd need to make 2 servers, the lobby and then the game server which would be run by the player hosting the game. Any tips on getting started and/or tutorials/articles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

wildboar    320
I would strongly suggest a library such as RakNet for all of this since RakNet has lobby server classes and many other features. Programming sockets from scratch will be a huge pain for you.

Shankem    100
I've actually never used c++, just c. I'm gonna learn c++ eventually, would it be really difficult to learn it as I go with RakNet? If so, are there some tutorials that could help me get started with RakNet? The manual seems like it might be useful, but anything else would be good as well. Thanks.

[Edited by - Shankem on November 30, 2010 8:16:36 AM]