help!!!

Started by
4 comments, last by jpetrie 13 years, 4 months ago
hi guyss,

im REAALLY new to game development and i reaaly want to learn more and become better and better.

i dont know any programming languages and the most i know is HELLO WORLD! (very embarrasing to say)

i really want to learn more so where would you recoomend i start?

Thanks guys and i hope to be here a long time
Advertisement
Hey Adon.

Do you want to first make a game, or do you want to learn how a game works?

If you want to make a game, grab a third party game engine such as Game Maker or Irrlicht and learn how to use it. Spend more time getting used to how a game is designed, learn a couple of scripting languages and make a couple of games. Don't worry if the games are bad... Just complete projects in order to get valuable practice. You should be making mistakes to learn from before starting to look at the bigger picture.

If you want to learn about how a game works, grab a Graphics API such as Direct3D or OpenGL in order to learn about the mathematics and processes behind running a game. While I like Direct3D, I would argue that OpenGL would be much nicer to you starting out. Once you expand and develop games from the ground up, you can probably start looking at designing your own reusable engine.

You may end up wondering about what language to use... Speaking from my experience, C++ is awkward to couple with game development, although professional firms are likely to use it. So, learn it, but use it only when you really have to on your own time. You will get a lot more done if you use game engines or higher level languages to write games while you are still unfamiliar with programming as a discipline.

Hope this helps.
In the upper left-hand corner of this page, click "Home" to get to the gamedev homepage. On the left, there is a menu for Resources. Many of those articles will help you get started.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

thanks guys

and zyro lasting its sort of both
i really want to get into the industry and learn how to make games but dont you need to know how they work in order to make them?

I've never been too into third party programs like game maker because i want to learn it the proffessional way (c ++ - and I know its sort of a big dream for someone who has never PROPERLY coded)

so how would i go about getting into the professional industry way of coding like C ++ and i dont mind making crappy games to begin with or putting in lots of hours
Quote:Original post by Adon786
so how would i go about getting into the professional industry way of coding like C ++ and i dont mind making crappy games to begin with or putting in lots of hours

Make lots of crappy games, never ask if you are "wasting time" learning a computer language or taking classes, and get a Computer Science degree.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you want to learn to program, I would recommend Python or C# as a first language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement