Recomended C++ books

Started by
3 comments, last by Ashkan 13 years, 4 months ago
Hello i am going to start programing in C++ i whant some good books for it and i have a question..

Is there any books explaining C++ from scratch not that i need to know C# before i can read the C++ book? Please post em here
Advertisement
I would generally recommend against C++ as a first language, instead something like Python or C# would probably be more appropriate. That said:

Quote:
Hello i am going to start programing in C++ i whant some good books for it

"C++ A Dialog" and "Thinking in C++." Both are available for free online.

Quote:
Is there any books explaining C++ from scratch not that i need to know C# before i can read the C++ book?

C# and C++ are different languages, and related only in the sense that they have some syntactical commonality. Neither one is necessary to learn the other.
Two really good books on the subject are "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++". They're short but easy to read through.
Yes, the books by Scott Meyers are a very good read.

At least they will give you a better idea of how difficult a language C++ actually is.
Quote:Original post by sjaakiejj
Two really good books on the subject are "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++". They're short but easy to read through.

Wrong. While they are both great books and definitely belong in the shelf of any intermediate C++ programmer, they are not beginner-level material. I strongly advise against them as first books.

@OP
C++ is a complex beast. You would want to start learning programming with a language that allows you to concentrate on the concepts rather than the complexities of the language. Remember that learning to program is not the same as learning a programming language. A good first programming language would get out of your way and allow you to focus on what really matters: the concepts. For this reason, Python is a much better choice for novice programmers.

If you have no option, such as when you have to learn C++ because your university requires you, "Thinking in C++" is a great first book as jpetrie mentioned.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement