Raknet question

Started by
5 comments, last by Ryl 13 years, 4 months ago
Ok, i built my game, but as i download raknet i see 5-7 files. I run the injection with microsoft visual studio, but how do i mount it with the game i created? How i use its features? is there a specific file i put my game? how to control when people type in their msgs? Or is there another program for multiplayer?
Advertisement
additional info, i am not making this game for servers, no lobby, people just getin the same game.. like second life...
Did you follow the RakNet tutorials?
Btw: Second Life has a lot of servers (but no "lobby" as such).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Well, the tut. was talking about creating server.. blah blah

But I tried the same thing, but my game has many files, so it wasnt even compiling. Either my visual studio was missing .dll , it was a d3d9.dll which was missing or something..
Re-read the tutorial. There is a simple chat tutorial that comes with it.
It creates a server, a client, and lets you type messages back and forth.

Every multiplayer app will need a server and a client at the minimum. Other games thow in lobbies, dedicated servers (ie server isn't also a client), etc.

What exactly is the issue? the tutorials for raknet should compile right out of the box. Once you understand those, there isn't much integration needed to duplicate the functionality in your own game.
Quote:Original post by Ryl
Well, the tut. was talking about creating server.. blah blah

But I tried the same thing, but my game has many files, so it wasnt even compiling. Either my visual studio was missing .dll , it was a d3d9.dll which was missing or something..

In order to understand a complex topic like distributed systems (networking is part of distributed systems), you need to first know the language you're using, and the tools you're using. From your description, it sounds as if you're un-clear on how C++ code is compiled and linked, and how the tool you're using is configured to perform those actions.

Also see Question 34 in the Forum FAQ.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by KulSeran
Re-read the tutorial. There is a simple chat tutorial that comes with it.
It creates a server, a client, and lets you type messages back and forth.

Every multiplayer app will need a server and a client at the minimum. Other games thow in lobbies, dedicated servers (ie server isn't also a client), etc.

What exactly is the issue? the tutorials for raknet should compile right out of the box. Once you understand those, there isn't much integration needed to duplicate the functionality in your own game.

We I read it, re-read it. Nothing got out of it. So can you give me a brief example of what you mean? Or maybe, do you have msn, so we can chat back and forth. I realy need help with this.

Quote:Original post by hplus0603
In order to understand a complex topic like distributed systems (networking is part of distributed systems), you need to first know the language you're using, and the tools you're using. From your description, it sounds as if you're un-clear on how C++ code is compiled and linked, and how the tool you're using is configured to perform those actions.

Well how do I link them up? How I make the server? Well at this moment , I got my files, alone, the files compile. But how do I link it with the RakNet? How to control when players talk, the chat box? Everything else. Is there a tuttorial for such things? Not just c++ tuts. Which i got nothing out of them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement