Sign in to follow this  

Blocks - 2D Jump'n'Run with Leveleditor

This topic is 2574 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone,
here I want to show my project Blocks to the english speaking world.
I am an 18 years old german scholar, who is into programming and gamedeveloping since maybe 2 years.
Blocks is a project I have been working on since roundabout 1 year, it will be evaluated as a part of my Abitur(german version of the a-levels) in march of next year.

The Idea
I wanted to create system which makes it easy to create 2d games with nice looking physics by using scripts for the gameplay and a leveleditor, which makes it easy to set up the gameworld.

The Leveleditor creates mapfiles, may contain all needed ressources (graphics, sounds, scriptfiles) to play them, but there is also an option to only include the scripts, so it will use the graphics from a global directory of the game. So I don't have the same image multiple in the download, since most maps use similar graphics.

So far I have created mostly jump and run levels, but there is also one map which I call ClickBlocks. It is about removing similar colored blocks, the clue is: you can alter the gravity with the arrow keys.

I am using Java2D to display the graphics (yes that can be accelerated if you have an appropriate graphicscard), the physics are based on jBox2D.

You'll need Java to play this, and I have to warn you: It is a bit laggy on netbooks ;)

The Leveleditor:

Ingame:

Clickblocks:

Downloads, version 0.15 which was released on the 30th November 2010:
Changelog, in german sry ;)

Installer, recommended download

zip-archive

Feedback is highly appreciated :)

Sign in to follow this