Sign in to follow this  
Zinodaur

Game Ideas

Hello, I am a grade 11 cs student looking for game ideas. For my cs class I am to write educational games for micmac online, a website designed to teach the language of micmac (spoken in eastern Canada) to any who want to learn. Unfortunately, games that are entertaining AND educational are incredibly difficult to conceptualize. I am looking for game formats that teach vocabulary and possibly pronunciation or syntax. I have flirted with the idea of having a series of inter-related games, one part being something fun that is played as a reward for earning points by doing something onerous (like a rossetta stone clone). Better, though, would be a game that combines education and entertainment.

Already for this project I have written a missile command - like game, where a micmac word is pronounced and displayed on the bottom of the screen, with asteroids falling from the sky threatening to destroy the player's cities. On each asteroid is written an english word, and the player must click on the english word corresponding to the micmac word read by the computer to destroy the particular asteroid.

I intend to write these games using the javascript canvas API, and so far I can only cope with 2d graphics. I am desperate for any game concepts that you guys wish to share, and you will earn my undying gratitude by responding to my post.

Interesting assignment, I hate learning new languages unless a computer reads it!

How good are you at drawing? I think a cool game would be like an exploring game. Where the character walks around meeting new people that speak 'micmac'. The gameplay would resemble Machinarium. Youtube search Machinarium & see how that gameplay is. Create puzzles and objects so that when the character lifts it, it says the name. Or something. I think that'll be scrumptulecent!

Yeah, that sounds like a cool idea. I totally suck at drawing, but I may be able to convince my sister to do some for me. Also, I found some free tile sets on the internet that might suit that kind of game. Thanks a lot!

Moving this Game Design post to the Game Design forum.
And closing it, since it has apparently been satisfactorily answered and also since it was a request for help with a school assignment (and since we frown upon those here).