If I want to design or program games for Sony and Microsoft, am I on the wrong path?

Started by
26 comments, last by Pto 13 years, 4 months ago
At this moment I am currently learning C# and XNA, which is strictly Microsoft/360.

I hear almost all Sony games are made using C++. Which was my original programming choice, but my friend convinced me to switch to C#/XNA because it would be "quicker" per se to be able to make a game, and so we could work together.

But, the main deal is, am I on the wrong path if I would like to make games for both Sony and Microsoft? Or am I on a one-way street to making games for Microsoft?
Advertisement
It's not clear if you actually want to work for Sony or Microsoft, or if you want to develop your own games on the xbox/ps3.

If your question is the latter (I'm guessing that it is), than you won't be able to develop anything for the PS3 in any language. You need a devkit to make any games for the PS3, and they cost tens of thousands of dollars and are only sold to professional development studios with a proven track record.

If you want to put something on Xbox360, you can do it in XNA I think and put it for sale on their indie game channel. There's no PS3 equivalent.

[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
XNA games are made with C#, but all the regular games you'd go get in the store are written in C++. Also, when making games for the Wii, the DS, the PSP etc it's all C++ too.

If you want to make AAA nextgen games you are going to need to know C++.

If you dont care so much about that, you can make xbox live arcade games with C#, cell phone games with java, and internet games with actionscript.

That being said, if you are after AAA nextgen game development, it could be a good move learning C# first because it's easier to learn and work with, and you get quicker results for your efforts.

Make sense? Hope it helps!
I'm saying if I were to work for a company that makes multiplatform games. Would the path i'm on only allow me to make games for Microsoft (being the C# language).

I've heard from quite a few places that most if not all of the PS3 AAA titles are made using C++.
Quote:Original post by Atrix256
XNA games are made with C#, but all the regular games you'd go get in the store are written in C++. Also, when making games for the Wii, the DS, the PSP etc it's all C++ too.

If you want to make AAA nextgen games you are going to need to know C++.

If you dont care so much about that, you can make xbox live arcade games with C#, cell phone games with java, and internet games with actionscript.

That being said, if you are after AAA nextgen game development, it could be a good move learning C# first because it's easier to learn and work with, and you get quicker results for your efforts.

Make sense? Hope it helps!

yeah :(.

How easy is transitioning from C# to C++ though?
Quote:Original post by GraySnakeGenocide
How easy is transitioning from C# to C++ though?

It's pretty easy. The languages are fairly similar. You'll have perhaps a lot to learn about manual memory management.

The reality is that you won't get hired in the professional games industry without knowing C++ very well. It's pretty standard practice to ask questions about more advanced details of the language as part of the interview process.

However, if you're just learning your first language, C++ is generally considered to be a bad place to start. It's far easier to learn your 2nd language than your first, so it's better to learn on a more modern language just so you can avoid some of the lower level details that shouldn't matter so much in the early learning process.

-me
I just hope i'm not wasting my time, it's a pain in the backside remembering C# as is.
I just hope i'm not wasting my time, it's a pain in the backside remembering C# as is.

Learning a language is never a waste of time. After you get really proficient with your first language you should strive to learn a new one at least every couple years. It definitely gets exponentially easier with each new language. Remembering syntax is just a matter of practice

-me

Its not a waste of time, you will need to learn far more than one language to be a good programmer anyway.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I just hope i'm not wasting my time

So you're saying you are lazy. Sorry, but lazy people cannot hack it as game programmers. Fact of life.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement