16 years old need college help

Started by
5 comments, last by garrettj94 13 years, 4 months ago
Hey i'm 16 and taking online school. I just learned that my school will pay up to 2k in college classes so I want to know what prerequisites are needed for video game designing/something to do with video games. I would rather work with console game specifically but computer games are fine. I am interested in games like: world of wacraft, call of duty black ops and runescape. Thank you!
Advertisement
Life isn't a game where the steps to the next level are cut and dry. There are a number of (conventional) paths to take, depending on what you're good at and want to do.
We can't tell you what a particular school's prerequisites are -- you'd have to ask the school.
As for working in the industry, your first step needs to be to read this forum's FAQ. Scroll up and click the tiny link that says "View Forum FAQ." It's hard to find (not my fault) but if you look hard enough it's there. Click it and read.
Don't ask any more questions until after you've done that homework assignment.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

OK, I read the FAQ and I guess I want to be any kind of video game programmer. Here are a list of courses the college offers:

CIS150 - Survey Computer Info Systems

Programming & Systems:

CIS150AB Object Oriented Programming
CIS151 Computer game Development Level I
CIS159 Visual Basic Programming I
CIS162AD C#: Level I
CIS163AA Java Programming: Level I
CIS251 Computer Game Developing II
CIS259 Visual Basic Program II
CIS262AD C# Level II
CIS263AA Java Programming: Level II
CIS225 Business Systems Analysis/Design

Quote:Original post by garrettj94
1. OK, I read the FAQ and I guess I want to be any kind of video game programmer. 2. Here are a list of courses the college offers:

1. So get a CS degree, then.
2. That's nice, but the choice of college is purely up to YOU. Adulthood is all about making decisions, and this is where you have to start making your own decisions. Read more of the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I would say not to worry about developing pre-requisites at this point perse', I would recommend instead that you choose a course simply to "test the waters" in various aspects of gaming.

If you're inclined towards computers/math take an introductory programming course. The C#, OOP and Game Dev classes you listed look promising. Consider some introductory-level, general CS classes too (being a game developer doesn't mean just knowing how to program, it means understanding how the machine works and many other things -- neither C#, Java, C++, C or even assembly will demonstrate fully the depth of knowledge you need for this.)

If you're creatively inclined, look to see if there are writing, drawing, graphics design or modeling classes you can take.

If you're more inclined towards back-office things or the business side of things, see if there are any management or business classes available.

If you're not sure which of these things appeals to you, sample from any group that seems interesting -- you're young and have plenty of time to discover what you would enjoy most. Don't worry about tying yourself to a specific path just yet.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

OK guys. Thanks a bunch! I learned a lot from ya guys so now I will start taking classes and learning a ton of stuff!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement