Sign in to follow this  

Dynamic Lighting With Marching Cubes

This topic is 2564 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

No. I have yet to implement dynamic lighting with marching cubes, so I'd like to know about other peoples experiences too.
-But why don't you give deferred lighting a shot?
You can still render all the required stuff to buffers and do the lighting in screen space.

I'm that guy. My lighting is not really finished yet. Right now it has skylight but that's about it. My plan is to implement deferred shading in order to support large number (not casting shadows) of lights. Before I get there though I need to figure out how to do occlusion, or how do I know I'm in a cave problem. You may be familiar with the game Minecraft, which does dynamic worlds using cubic voxels. Minecraft solves the problem by propagating light values (low bit) directly downward from the sky. And that's the problem with it, it's in one direction.

I may do exactly that, but I won't use the values values to light my scene, I will propagate occlusion factor, since basically that's what I need because I have skylight already. Admittedly I haven't worked out all the details yet so I don't know whether this will work.

Other than that, I also thought about doing using horizon mapping and accessibility mapping, but this won't work with overhangs (or I haven't thought ways to modify it to work with voxels yet). Another possibility is to just brute force it, and since I'm sure you will decouple the computation of this from rendering, you can let it converge overtime (I haven't really explored this option yet).

That's basically where I'm at. Anyone?

BTW, today, I googled Crysis voxel lighting, and apparently you need to specifiy portals to light caves properly in Crysis. Oh yeah, reminds me, what about automating portal computation???

Actually, I was thinking about modifying the horizon map and store a list of heights instead of storing only the highest height, and live with errors (I think for caves and stuff, underground stuff, it should work.)

Another question is do I need to store value for every block? Instead of a horizon map, it will be a horizon volume.

oh yeah, another idea that I had is to simply render the entire scene from point of view of the SUN light, and use that to determine whether a surface is in shadow or not. This may even work best with deferred shading. And for skylight I would have just assume that anything below ground won't have any ambient light from the sky (not being lit by the sky at all; so only if it's directly being hit by the sun).

This topic is 2564 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.