Bullet/Gun Fire Tracers effect

Started by
1 comment, last by MantisTobaganMD 13 years, 4 months ago
So I've been researching how to achieve a bullet tracer effect. I've scoured the internet, but haven't been able to find any conclusive methodology to achieve this even though I see it any just about any game that has some kind of gun such as in HAWX2. Granted this seems like a simple effect to achieve, I have some ideas on how I might go about this, yet they seem too naive.

Here's a bit of an example of what I'm talking about. I know its subtle in the image, but its obviously a lot cooler in real time.

Tracer

Any input, ideas, resources would be welcome. Thanks.
Advertisement
Model the bullet as a cone apply a light texture and a bloom filter? Billboards could work, too.

Off-topic, but I've never seen an uglier plane model than this one. It looks like something from 1998, what's up with that?

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Quote:Original post by Fiddler
Model the bullet as a cone apply a light texture and a bloom filter? Billboards could work, too.

I've considered billboards as well. I think that might be what we're seeing in the picture.

Quote:Original post by Fiddler
Off-topic, but I've never seen an uglier plane model than this one. It looks like something from 1998, what's up with that?

Haha, I absolutely agree. I had the same reaction, but then I saw those beautiful tracers...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement