How do you test game design concepts without writing everything from scratch?

Started by
26 comments, last by snake5 13 years, 4 months ago
Quote:But, I really don't understand your antipathy for Unity.

Hype > Useful stuff. That's what I see and that's why I am a bit against it. But just a bit. No need to make things bigger than they already are - I didn't say it's not good for anything. I didn't say only idiots use Unity. I didn't say lots of things because I for some reason believe that Unity will be better for everyone (I've already given up on UE3 though :D).
My point about ease of use is still valid though - the editor isn't as easy to use as many say. Compare it to almost any 3D modelling tool with scene editor functionality and you'll see.
What I also dislike about Unity is that they have decided to expand more than add quality - updating editor to be a lot easier to use is really trivial but for some reason they thought that spending time with shiny shaders and fancy platforms is better.

Quote:before i decided there's gotta be a better way

The better way is the way where you plan everything from A to Z. I'm not sure how you did things but I can guess that if in two years you didn't do much then it's bad planning. Change your look on things and you'll change your speed of work. And I'm serious. If you're saying that you did not underestimate your work but didn't do much at the same time, I suggest you to reconsider thinking about the problems, not escaping from them.

Quote:There are many similar (and dissimilar) technologies available (Shiva, UDK, XNA, C4, Panda3D, etc., etc.)

It's funny that you mentioned those - I dislike all those tools that I know from the list. :D
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by snake5
updating editor to be a lot easier to use is really trivial but for some reason they thought that spending time with shiny shaders and fancy platforms is better.

With respect, given the success of Unity at the moment, I suspect that they are responding to feedback from users rather than making things more shiny.

Zynga are making gazillions of dollars at the moment because their business model is based upon responding to user feedback.
Quote:
Quote:There are many similar (and dissimilar) technologies available (Shiva, UDK, XNA, C4, Panda3D, etc., etc.)

It's funny that you mentioned those - I dislike all those tools that I know from the list. :D
Haha, wow...you're hard to please! ;)
There's this thing that developers sometimes do in response to the emergence of a popular tool which is unfamiliar to them. They don't have any experience with it, which is troubling to them, but they don't really want to spend a bunch of time getting to know it, and they don't want it to obsolete their current skillset. So what happens is, they'll get to know it just enough to become annoyed by something or other in it (either a real problem with the tool, or a "problem" caused by them not having enough experience with the tool to leverage it properly). Then they can comfortably dismiss it as "learned it, not useful, just hype". It's amazing how quickly you can "learn" new technologies with this strategy.

Also, Little Coding Fox, I have utterly failed to find that tile map editor I was talking about. Sorry.
Unity has been useful for reteaching me a lesson that I should have learned a long time ago: Don't reinvent the wheel.

Sure, I could attempt to create my own gameobject/component architecture, but why would I do that when I can just use Unity or a similar program? With that said, it's certainly a good idea to see how those kinds of things are implemented so that you can better understand the documentation and design.
Quote:They don't have any experience with it, which is troubling to them, but they don't really want to spend a bunch of time getting to know it, and they don't want it to obsolete their current skillset.

Sorry, but that's quite far from my case. I've used lots of different tools in my life, learned a lot about many of them (GIMP/Photoshop/Blender/MSVC/Hammer/3DS MAX/Overgrowth's editor/FL Studio/Game Maker) and I have made some tools too (like animation and map editors for Gunplay* and a 3D map editor for one older game).

It's funny how you try to generalize what I said and give me some kind of diagnosis while somehow avoiding my list of precise arguments against that tool at the same time... I know what I'm talking about and unless you stop assuming that everyone's wrong, you won't see that. But that's fine with me - if you favor the opinion of people that are religiously defending a tool (fortunately no one like that is here) just because "they seem to be always right" or something like that, I can't help you.

*If you're looking for the evidence, it's somewhere in YouTube. By searching for "gunplay", you should find it in the first or the second page. EDIT: You can use the GDNet search too - you should be able to find the topic with all the links.

P.S. I'd rather avoid going off-topic again so if you have something to say to me, please send a PM (that's what they're for) - there's no need to attack publicly if that's irrelevant to the topic or not clear enough whether it is relevant or not. :)
Original post by snake5
Quote:What I also dislike about Unity is that they have decided to expand more than add quality - updating editor to be a lot easier to use is really trivial but for some reason they thought that spending time with shiny shaders and fancy platforms is better.

Wtf? "fancy platforms"? What is fancy? Xbox/wii/ios/android are fancy? Then you are in wrong community. This is game development. And where does game development is used mostly if not in consoles/mobile devices?

To rest of GD.NET: ignore snake5 illogical arguments - his is know to be a little troll in our local GD community. His main argument usually is - "I can do better than anyone else (from scratch, in C++)".
I'd like to know what gives you the right to tell people who to (not) listen to. AFAIK, you haven't even developed a game for many years now, you're just saying everyone what's "best". I'd suggest you to try that because it seems that you sometimes forget what game development is all about. It's definitely not about following some kinds of fashion, even if many people would like it to work that way.

This time (just like many times before) you have gone way too far - arguing about what I prefer to work with isn't really necessary - and using it as an argument against something isn't smart.
That last thing you said, by the way, is not my argument against anything. I think I made myself clear when I said precisely what I dislike about something. Apparently, not clear enough.
I have always offered you to sort out all this via private communication. I am not interested in continuing this fighting all the time.

[Edited by - snake5 on December 4, 2010 11:59:23 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement