Sign in to follow this  
NickAllain

Suggestions for Russian Military Units?

NickAllain    100
I'm working on a game where units attack from the top of the screen and try to do damage against a stationary unit at the bottom. The attacking troops are Cold War Era Russians. The player launches his attacks from the sides and the bottom.

I'm trying to come up with a spread of units to differ up the gameplay. Feel free to suggest some things that will also be good counters for Russian units.

Basic Infantry:
Approach from north.
Weapon: Weak Machine Gun
Damage: Low
Damage When Reaching Convoy: Low – stops moving but continues firing until killed.

UAZ-469
Jeep-like vehicle. Enters from north diagonally. Changes direction to opposite diagonal when hitting edge of battle field.
Weapon: Light Machine Gun
Damage When Reaching Convoy: Medium Explosion

BRDM-2:
Assault craft. Enters from the north. Slowly approaches the south.
Weapon: Slow Firing Automatic Bullet Weapon

BRDM-2B:
Assault craft. Enters from the north. Slowly approaches the south.
Weapon: Slow Firing Dual Missiles
Damage: Medium

ZIL 135
Medium Range Missile Launcher. Enters from North slowly, fires, then retreats.
Weapon: Slow Firing Single Shot Missile Launcher
Damage: High

Special Ops
Spawns Randomly (Unfolding Paper), walks in diagonals, plants mines before switching direction.
Weapon: Tactical Rifle – kills infantry within a certain range
Damage When Reaching Convoy: Medium plastic explosive, then retreats quickly to north in straight line.

I've put some pictures up here if you're not familiar with the various types of units.

Here's a screenshot of prototype (with space units instead of Russians vs USA):

I'm open to just about anything.

The first things I think of when I hear "Cold War era Russian army" are, in this order: tanks, armored personnel carriers, and self-propelled field artillery.

I can see APCs and artillery in particular providing some obvious mechanics that could be fun. APCs would try to rush up close and deploy troops, and you should try to take out the APC before that, or maybe use an area effect on the troops just after they emerge before they have time to spread out. Artillery would obviously hang far back and set up to shell you, which you need to prevent, or dodge, or mitigate.

NickAllain    100
Quote:
Original post by Stroppy Katamari
The first things I think of when I hear "Cold War era Russian army" are, in this order: tanks, armored personnel carriers, and self-propelled field artillery.

I can see APCs and artillery in particular providing some obvious mechanics that could be fun. APCs would try to rush up close and deploy troops, and you should try to take out the APC before that, or maybe use an area effect on the troops just after they emerge before they have time to spread out. Artillery would obviously hang far back and set up to shell you, which you need to prevent, or dodge, or mitigate.

I really like the idea of artillery. I think it could really add some tension to the game to have to kill artillery quickly before they can destroy you.