How are graphics like these created?

Started by
4 comments, last by SonicD007 13 years, 4 months ago
I recently bought a game off of steam called the polynomial and the visuals are amazing. I was wondering how do you create something like this programming wise and how do you achieve those colors? Are they shaders or ?
http://dmytry.pandromeda.com/games/index.html <-- That's the game
Advertisement
Looks like primarily a particle engine, just tweaked for large number of particles.

Depending on what one would like to do, if implemented reasonably, a very basic machine today can render 100k of them in real time.

This is they type of graphics GPUs just love.
From the 2nd Video on the website (I sadly don't have steam, but this game might change that :P ), you can see that there is an option for Voxels.

So, obviously the normal version runs without Voxels. My best guess would be that the standard version uses a Particle System (one might argue that these are voxels as well) with a bloom-effect shader. With a bit of fine tuning, I believe you could achieve quite a similar effect.

For the Voxel Version:
The way I would do it is, create Volume Elements (Boxes) that are supposed to contain those little light dots (Voxels). Then use the Pixel Shader for ray casting. The DirectX SDK has a nice example of how this would work for Terrains.
I actually use a similar method for my current game.

The cool thing about the voxel Version is, all the light bulbs can "interact" with each other. Say, 2 Bulbs are near each other, they start "merging"... etc.. Doing this in a standard Particle engine would be alot more difficult

Edit: Ahh too slow :(
Oh. I'm probably not ready to create something like that then with my experience :/ I'd love to learn that in the future. Thanks for the replies.
I think you should be fine. Just create a simple Particle Manager (If you can render a Quad -> 2 Triangles, you can create a Particle Manager ;) ) and slap a Bloom shader (Tutorials on that should be on the web) on it and see what happens.

Playing around with the texture a bit and a few parameters here and there, you should be getting quite interesting results :)
Hmm that doesn't sound too bad actually. Time to google! haha

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement