Trying to make a decision. Advice?

Started by
1 comment, last by Telastyn 13 years, 4 months ago
Hey GameDev.net. Ok so heres my situation. im a former C#/XNA 3.1 programmer, been one for about a year but never created a complete game. XNA is taking a new direction with their windows phone, and getting closer to forcing windows 7. and i have windows XP. so im looking into start programming with some other language. i just dont know what is good to go with for game programming and possible something to make a buck off. i have no problem learning a new language, i just need some opinions on what language is good for making clean-cut games, and possible a easy way to distribute to make a little moo lah. Thanks!
Advertisement
If you hadn't written the first few sentences, my answer would be C#/XNA. Even though I'm not a big fan of XNA myself, I do find it has alot of potential.

Since you already know C#, have you given SlimDX a try? Another alternative would be Java.

Other than that, my Main Combination is DirectX + C++. But, I would not recommend it for "clean-cut" games. I'd only recommend it, if you don't mind struggling with alot of non-Game related Programming stuff along the way, that can sometimes be avoided using C# or Java.
You know, it's probably easier to upgrade your OS than learn an entirely new language...

SlimDX is also a fine option.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement