Sign in to follow this  

Visual Studio 2010: Opinions?

This topic is 2566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested in hearing what you guys think of Visual Studio 2010. I've recently switched (pro. ed), and am actually thinking of switching back. Installed on a fresh partition of Windows 7, it feels quite incomplete, considering that I had a great time with VS 2008 (pro. ed). I develop primarily in C++, and I've had it freeze during linking, finding, replacing, and auto-complete, as well as just randomly (I think it's probably related to Intelli-Sense). I think I've had it crash more often in the 6 weeks I've been using it that I've ever had 2008 crash, which I'd been using since release. Also, the Intelli-Sense seems much, much slower.

Have you guys had a better experience than me, or is Visual Studio 2010 sub-par?

I think you probably have other issues.

Running VS2008 and VS2010 (many copies of both) I've had very few crashes over the last year and all of them on 2008 instances.

e: do you have any more information about these crashes? 64/32? any other programs crashing?

2010 uses WPF, which uses the graphics card quite a lot. Maybe you should start there, see if you can confirm or rule out that the crashes are related to rendering in WPF.

Quote:
Original post by iceisfun
I think you probably have other issues.

Running VS2008 and VS2010 (many copies of both) I've had very few crashes over the last year and all of them on 2008 instances.

e: do you have any more information about these crashes? 64/32? any other programs crashing?

Hmm, good to know Microsoft didn't release a lemon!

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit. I've got Qt Add-in 1.1.7, and Visual SVN 2.0.3 installed, that's about it. My version is 10.0.30319, I'll run a big round of windows updates and see if it's a WPF issue, I'm not having problems with 08' or any other applications, like I said, this is a very new partition, and exclusively for Visual Studio development. My (portable) workstation is running an 8800m, and I've never had a death due to video-card (or any other hardware, for that matter).

Any idea where the crash logs are?

Quote:
Original post by iceisfun
Well you might try http://www.memtest86.com/ just to be safe.

Well, I'm running x68, plus my memory is fine, it's just Visual Studio which bites the dust from time to time. Never had a BSOD or hardware death, my machine gets tested once a month and is used exclusively for development.

I suspect it may be WPF related, that sounds like a good avenue to go down. Any ideas on that front would be appreciated!

If you convert a project from a pervious version of VS, it'll periodically produce manifest errors when you try to build it. This is a bug that was around in the VS2005 -> VS2008 conversion process, and they somehow managed to introduce the bug into VS2010 as well. It can easily be fixed by deleting all the files generated during compilation, including the SQL database, debug and release folders, object files, etc. Then you can do a fresh rebuild without issue.

Intellisense can be very laggy at times. If your client appears to freeze, there's a good chance it's not actually frozen, but tied up handling intellisense stuff. You should leave it for a few minutes and see if it comes good.

For me it works much better than 2008 (I do WPF work and also driver development work, so a lit bit of both ends) and I just love it. It is true it is a little slow when designing complex WPF interfaces, but in my opinion is a very solid piece of software. I also run the express edition at home and that works fine too.

I got the 'Professional' version, and to me it's the best Visual Studio that has ever existed ... very stable, intellisense is MUCH better than in VS2008 and believe it or not, but it's even blazingly fast for me. I do have a rather powerful machine to run it on, so maybe that has something to do with it.

P.S. I've heard that running VS 2010 Express and any other VS 2010 edition on the same machine can cause all kinds of strange problems. You're not doing that, are you? If so, I'd recommend uninstalling both and then reinstalling VS 2010 (non-Express edition only).

[Edited by - Red Ant on December 2, 2010 2:08:01 PM]

I love the new VS2010, especially the new .NET 4.0 FX that comes with it. Alot of good things in there.

As for VS2010 itself, Add reference box has some preformance tweeks, as does the toolbox. OH and the add new item dialog is finally workable. Overall just big thumbs up for me.

I've only used it for C# so far (had to switch up to XNA 4), and I could take it or leave it.

So far I've not come across anything thats made me go "wow thats good new feature/improvement" but I've found the usefulness of F1 key/Internal MSDN searching to be much worse than vs2008.

[edit] I suppose the .NET 4.0 stuff is cool, but I'm really allowed to use it/need to use it for what I'm working on[/edit]

There are a few small things that I really like about it:

The block selection/typing is really useful and pinning a watch tooltip in debugging is fantastic.

Apart from being slow to start, I haven't had any other issues with it.

After a month with VC++ 2010 I got back to VC++ 2008 :)
Somehow it doesn't feel like the one whole thing, but a bunch of small parts connected in one.
PS: wxWidgets and Qt work better with VC++ 2008

Quote:
Original post by taz0010
If you convert a project from a pervious version of VS, it'll periodically produce manifest errors when you try to build it. This is a bug that was around in the VS2005 -> VS2008 conversion process, and they somehow managed to introduce the bug into VS2010 as well. It can easily be fixed by deleting all the files generated during compilation, including the SQL database, debug and release folders, object files, etc. Then you can do a fresh rebuild without issue.

Intellisense can be very laggy at times. If your client appears to freeze, there's a good chance it's not actually frozen, but tied up handling intellisense stuff. You should leave it for a few minutes and see if it comes good.

I have the same manifest embed fail while linking in VS 2010.

I also upgraded to VS 2010 and it's very slow here. I have not had crashing issues. I also can't find how to stop a build, or even to pause the debugger in the currently running instruction (without breakpoints). It's sometimes useful when you know the code is in an infinite loop.

I'll probably revert to 2008, even though I love some of the new C++ compiler features.

Quote:
Original post by Triton
how to stop a build

ctrl+break
Quote:

pause the debugger in the currently running instruction

ctrl+alt+break on VS, or the "pause" button next to the "play" button :)

Quote:

I'll probably revert to 2008, even though I love some of the new C++ compiler features.

It's easy to use the 2010 toolset with the 2008 IDE, just add the 2010 directories above the default ones in 2008's Tools->VC++ Directories. If you copy the 2010 compiler binaries, headers and libs you can even uninstall VS2010 and still use MS's C++0x offerings.

I have used VS 2010 since the CTPs and Beta. Never had a single crash so far and I'm stressing it each day for at least 8 hours :)

I am only using Visual C# 2010 Express and Visual C++ 2010 Express, though, never had enough cash for the full VS Pro or Enterprise (nor do I really feel the need - some add-ins like TestDriven.NET would be cool, but I've never been a heavy user of macros or Microsoft's proprietary TFS/MSTest stuff).

Imho, the new color scheme is much easier on the eyes and after reading that VS 2010 is done in WPF, I took it for a spin myself -- and never looked back to WinForms or MFC again :)

Quote:
Original post by Nik02
Quote:
Original post by Triton
how to stop a build

ctrl+break
Quote:

pause the debugger in the currently running instruction

ctrl+alt+break on VS, or the "pause" button next to the "play" button :)

Well is that button available in the Express edition? This is all I get:

Also the Stop Build button, which I used to have in VS 2008 but I don't see anywhere in 2010. Thanks for the keyboard shortcut though. It'll come handy.

EDIT:

Another problem I have is that it sometimes doesn't jump to the correct line when clicking on errors in the Output pane.

Build > Cancel. The menu option only appears while you're building. Also control + break.
Your lack of a pause button must be a VS Express thing. It's definitely there in the full version of VS2010.

Quote:
Original post by Triton
Also the Stop Build button, which I used to have in VS 2008 but I don't see anywhere in 2010. Thanks for the keyboard shortcut though. It'll come handy.
I'm not sure if this will help in your specific case but they "removed" a number of the standard features in Visual C# Express too. You can get them back by clicking Tools→Settings→Expert Settings.

It's a shame that C# 4.0 is so nice as I'd consider just about everything else in 2010 a considerable step backwards from 2008. If it ain't broke, rewrite it in WPF.

Quote:
Original post by Cygon
Imho, the new color scheme is much easier on the eyes and after reading that VS 2010 is done in WPF, I took it for a spin myself -- and never looked back to WinForms or MFC again :)
This is precisely the problem I have with WPF applications as a user; they completely ignore system themes and colour settings. At least WinForms applications (with a little bit of prodding to ensure they use the current versions of controls rather than the old XP ones) look vaguely native, and if someone wants their applications to be dark blue with bright yellow highlights then that's their choice.

Quote:
Original post by taz0010
Build > Cancel. The menu option only appears while you're building. Also control + break.
Your lack of a pause button must be a VS Express thing. It's definitely there in the full version of VS2010.

Well, thing is there isn't a Build menu in Express by default. I just "discovered it" by enabling the Expert mode. Thanks for the tip Ben.

This topic is 2566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.