Visual Studio 2010: Opinions?

Started by
32 comments, last by Extrarius 13 years, 4 months ago
I am interested in hearing what you guys think of Visual Studio 2010. I've recently switched (pro. ed), and am actually thinking of switching back. Installed on a fresh partition of Windows 7, it feels quite incomplete, considering that I had a great time with VS 2008 (pro. ed). I develop primarily in C++, and I've had it freeze during linking, finding, replacing, and auto-complete, as well as just randomly (I think it's probably related to Intelli-Sense). I think I've had it crash more often in the 6 weeks I've been using it that I've ever had 2008 crash, which I'd been using since release. Also, the Intelli-Sense seems much, much slower.

Have you guys had a better experience than me, or is Visual Studio 2010 sub-par?
Advertisement
I think you probably have other issues.

Running VS2008 and VS2010 (many copies of both) I've had very few crashes over the last year and all of them on 2008 instances.

e: do you have any more information about these crashes? 64/32? any other programs crashing?
2010 uses WPF, which uses the graphics card quite a lot. Maybe you should start there, see if you can confirm or rule out that the crashes are related to rendering in WPF.
Quote:Original post by iceisfun
I think you probably have other issues.

Running VS2008 and VS2010 (many copies of both) I've had very few crashes over the last year and all of them on 2008 instances.

e: do you have any more information about these crashes? 64/32? any other programs crashing?

Hmm, good to know Microsoft didn't release a lemon!

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit. I've got Qt Add-in 1.1.7, and Visual SVN 2.0.3 installed, that's about it. My version is 10.0.30319, I'll run a big round of windows updates and see if it's a WPF issue, I'm not having problems with 08' or any other applications, like I said, this is a very new partition, and exclusively for Visual Studio development. My (portable) workstation is running an 8800m, and I've never had a death due to video-card (or any other hardware, for that matter).

Any idea where the crash logs are?
Well you might try http://www.memtest86.com/ just to be safe.
I found this article, seems to be a useful hint, not sure if it's what I'm after though:

Click
Quote:Original post by iceisfun
Well you might try http://www.memtest86.com/ just to be safe.

Well, I'm running x68, plus my memory is fine, it's just Visual Studio which bites the dust from time to time. Never had a BSOD or hardware death, my machine gets tested once a month and is used exclusively for development.

I suspect it may be WPF related, that sounds like a good avenue to go down. Any ideas on that front would be appreciated!
If you convert a project from a pervious version of VS, it'll periodically produce manifest errors when you try to build it. This is a bug that was around in the VS2005 -> VS2008 conversion process, and they somehow managed to introduce the bug into VS2010 as well. It can easily be fixed by deleting all the files generated during compilation, including the SQL database, debug and release folders, object files, etc. Then you can do a fresh rebuild without issue.

Intellisense can be very laggy at times. If your client appears to freeze, there's a good chance it's not actually frozen, but tied up handling intellisense stuff. You should leave it for a few minutes and see if it comes good.
For me it works much better than 2008 (I do WPF work and also driver development work, so a lit bit of both ends) and I just love it. It is true it is a little slow when designing complex WPF interfaces, but in my opinion is a very solid piece of software. I also run the express edition at home and that works fine too.
I got the 'Professional' version, and to me it's the best Visual Studio that has ever existed ... very stable, intellisense is MUCH better than in VS2008 and believe it or not, but it's even blazingly fast for me. I do have a rather powerful machine to run it on, so maybe that has something to do with it.

P.S. I've heard that running VS 2010 Express and any other VS 2010 edition on the same machine can cause all kinds of strange problems. You're not doing that, are you? If so, I'd recommend uninstalling both and then reinstalling VS 2010 (non-Express edition only).

[Edited by - Red Ant on December 2, 2010 2:08:01 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement