Sign in to follow this  
kazenofairy

[HLSL/Direct3D] Drawing a texture quad

kazenofairy    100
Hello,

I've been using these forums as help for a while, but this is actually the first time I will be posting. Maybe I am very bad at searching but I've been unable to find anything about this.

I am pretty new to DirectX and HLSL. I want to do page flipping animation using textures and HLSL shaders. I know it is far easier using ID3DXSprite but I don't want to do it that way as I already have everything set the other way. What I actually want to know is... how do you tell the HLSL shader that you want to draw just a portion of the texture?

I know that changing the Tu and Tv elements of the VertexBuffer can help you achieve that but I don't really know/think it is a good idea to keep locking, changing and unlocking the vertex buffer each time I draw a game object.

Does anyone know a way to do this right? Maybe setting some values in the vertex or pixel shader?

Hope I explained myself.

Thanks in advance.

M4573R    144
Doing it in the vertex shader could be as easy as 4 adds to your quad's uv coordinates if you have your sprite frames in a strip. Not costly at all :D

kazenofairy    100
Really? Thanks for the info! Although, I already tried to find examples on how to do that and I was not able to found any. Is there any guidance that you can give me? Thanks again!