[0,1]^2 mapping to arbitrary light source

Started by
10 comments, last by TM 22 years, 6 months ago
Then find the intersection of the ray with each polygon of your light source! But a warning: It''ll be slow as anything, since it''s really just raytracing!

But I''m still not entirely sure what you''re trying to do, so I''m functioning off of a guess!
Advertisement
I see what he's doing. He want's to uniformly stipple (jitter) the light position sampling for a particular point using an arbitrary light volume for radiosity calcs.

How could you possibly define this? A uniform jitter of an arbitrary surface? I don't think you have enough information. You could do it if, as the AP stated, if you have an equation for the surface

*******Z
****Y--|
------\-|
-------\|
=======X=======

What criteria can you define that says to choose Y as a sampling point over Z? The only thing's I can say would be the following points:
1) the closest point on the light to the point
2) the collection of points defining the silhouette edge of the light relative to a projection from the point under consideration to point 1.

Not to mention all of the interior points!

How do you choose which points are more important than others? I don't see how you can for an arbitrary surface - you just plain have to know somethign about it...

Besides, I thought radiosity delt with entire surfaces, not sampled points.

Edited by - Succinct on October 4, 2001 1:10:49 PM
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement