Best callback technique

Started by
16 comments, last by doesnotcompute 13 years, 4 months ago
I have to agree that the system of using "signals" and "slots" via boost / Qt is the most efficient way of doing callbacks when I need them.
Uziel was defeated by Tiny Mandragora.
Advertisement
My favourite method is the interface based callback - its cheap and easy to implement. boost signal / slots are a more powerful alternative if you like to bind individual functions as the callback receivers instead of a whole class.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Boost Signal / Slots is a very good solution on all fronts, but it's speed might be lacking for you. For my specific tests, SigC++ was twice as fast (but measure this for your particular use!). I wrote my own limited kind of signal/slots, which is again 3 times faster, roughly.

So, check for yourself. Boost is truely not a fast solution for signals/slots, but it sure is stable, compatible, etc.
[size="2"]SignatureShuffle: [size="2"]Random signature images on fora
Quote:Original post by Decrius
Boost Signal / Slots is a very good solution on all fronts, but it's speed might be lacking for you.

Quote:Original post by Anton Vatchenko
2. Good speed (if there is about thousand callbacks per frame).

I can't imagine a thousand callbacks per frame being a performance problem.
if you imagine about 200 frames per second, and this callback system is not the main target in application.
VATCHENKO.COM
if you imagine about 200 frames per second, and this callback system is not the main target in application.

In a quick test on my computer, it looks like the overhead would take about 3% of the CPU under those circumstances. But such a simple synthetic test doesn't mean much, so you will have to do your own profiling.

We can't help you decide what to use: We can only point out alternatives for you to try. If you can budget boost::signals, they are a very elegant way to do things. An old-fashioned function pointer is much much faster, so I am sure there will be some speed/elegance compromise that you can use.

boost::function is fine then. It's ISO certified up to 220 (160 in Imperial units) frames per second.
Quote:Original post by Antheus

boost::function is fine then. It's ISO certified up to 220 (160 in Imperial units) frames per second.

LOL!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement