Sign in to follow this  
Misery

wxWidgets VC++ build

Misery    354
I would like to ask if anyone has succeeded to build wxWidgets?
I have done everything as written in wiki, but i have about 51 failed compiles.

I sometimes wonder if ppl don't just make things like that, or like boost lib, just to make it "free" because of license terms, but really only they are able to use it, because it is impossible to build it etc.

Misery    354
yeah, ok, but reading the whole tutorial was quite a challange. If I have to spent few days more just to find out if it is possible to build it at all... does it makes sense at all? I know that everywhere are bugs, but I have used BC++ RAD for a while and it generally wasn't so problematic.
I'm thinking of writing the whole app in Python with wxPython - here wxWidgets works just fine.

SeaBourne    120
Quote:
Original post by Misery
What is pita? Never heard of it.

pita = pain in the arse

I would suggest Qt. It has a better build system and it's code is just more cleaner and easier to work with than in wxWidgets.

This will give you a good comparison. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2886258/wxwidgets-vs-qt

Red Ant    471
I've built wxWidgets before, but I do remember going through a lot of trouble trying to make various aspects of the framework function correctly because the documentation just didn't bother to mention a few bits of extra work you had to do to get them to work. Anyway, wxWidgets feels too much like a cheap MFC-clone anyway. If you want a real quality GUI-kit, I'd recommend dropping wxWidgets and going with Qt instead.

dmail    116
Quote:
Original post by Misery
I would like to ask if anyone has succeeded to build wxWidgets?

Yes many times.

Quote:

I have done everything as written in wiki, but i have about 51 failed compiles.

Really.
So how would you solve this?
Posting the errors and the build steps taken here?
Post to the wxWidgets mailing list?
Or give no info and moan that you could not build it?

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if ppl don't just make things like that, or like boost lib, just to make it "free" because of license terms, but really only they are able to use it, because it is impossible to build it etc.

Sometimes I think people are too quick to jump on the "I can't do it", "blame the tools" bandwagon.

Triton    138
I build wxWidgets pretty much every other week, to get some bugfix from SVN and rarely have build problems.

Just checkout the trunk SVN repository, and read BuildSVN.txt. Basically all you need to do is copy a new config header from the existing one (setup.h). Load the solution in VS and hit build.

If you are using VS 2010 you need to run a search / replace in the converted project files. There is a issue about it here (with instructions): Issue #12010