Why wont SDL_DisplayFormat work?!?!?!

Started by
9 comments, last by TheBuzzSaw 13 years, 4 months ago
Im following lazy foo's SDL tutorial to set the color key on an image.
I did many of his tutorials and now I have a problem that didn't exist before.

I load img1 but the line SDL_DisplayFormat(img1) DOES NOTHING ( found this out during debug) and so the program exits.What am I doing wrong?

Here is the snippet:

SDL_Surface* loadimg(std::string filename){	SDL_Surface* img1 = NULL;	SDL_Surface* img2 =NULL;	img1 = IMG_Load(filename.c_str());	if(img1 !=NULL)	{		img2 = SDL_DisplayFormat(img1);		SDL_FreeSurface(img1); 		if(img2 != NULL)		SDL_SetColorKey(img2,SDL_SRCCOLORKEY,SDL_MapRGB(img2->format,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF));	}	return img1;}

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mozly
I load img1 but the line SDL_DisplayFormat(img1) DOES NOTHING ( found this out during debug) and so the program exits.What am I doing wrong?
How do you know that line does nothing? What does 'nothing' mean to you?

Anyway, let's assume did actually work and the converted img1 is put into img2. That means you are leaking img2 and returning img1 after freeing it. I'd have written your code more like this:
SDL_Surface* loadimg(std::string filename){  SDL_Surface* img1 = IMG_Load(filename.c_str());  if(img1 ==NULL)  {    return NULL;  }  SDL_Surface* img2 = SDL_DisplayFormat(img1);  SDL_FreeSurface(img1);   if(img2 == NULL)  {    return NULL;  }  SDL_SetColorKey(img2,SDL_SRCCOLORKEY,SDL_MapRGB(img2->format,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF));  return img2;}
I dislike nesting statements unless necessary and I think "checking for failure and bailing immediately" makes more sense than "checking for success and continuing".

Hope this helps.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Actually i did return img2; return img1 is a typo. it is display format that doesent work.
Actually i did return img2; return img1 is a typo. it is display format that doesent work.
Still not sure what that means, but have you tried calling SDL_GetError after that line?

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

the code now reads as you wrote it but SDL_DisplayFormat() is still not doing its job
the code now reads as you wrote it but SDL_DisplayFormat() is still not doing its job
You keep saying what it isn't doing('its job'), but I think it might help if you say what it is doing. That is, does it return NULL or non-NULL? Does it cause your program to crash? Something entirely different?

Also, did you try SDL_GetError or not? If SDL_DisplayFormat returns non-NULL then SDL_GetError probably won't be helpful.

ok, sdl_displayFormat() is supposed to set all the values of the image such as img->rectclips etc. none of the values are set. That is what im saying. Sorry if it sounded scetchy
Have you called SDL_Init? Have you already called SDL_SetVideoMode?
I recommend trying SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha (particularly since you are using SDL_image).
Amateurs practice until they do it right.Professionals practice until they never do it wrong.
ok, sdl_displayFormat() is supposed to set all the values of the image such as img->rectclips etc. none of the values are set. That is what im saying. Sorry if it sounded scetchy

What makes you think this?

SDL_DisplayFormat optimises the image data. It does not preserve other data.

Looking through the source* it doesn't touch the "rectclips" member. You'll need to write a wrapper function that handles this.

* SDL_DisplayFormat (line 919)which delegates to SDL_ConvertSurface (line 719).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement